What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It doesn't pay to get all worked up.

This morning, on the way to work, I turned onto a road leading to the main highway to downtown.

100 feet down the road was a stopsign, with cars 4 deep. I am in the right lane, having just turned right.

I hear a long honk behind me, and I look in the rearview mirror. The woman in the car behind me is clearly yelling and shaking her hands at me. I see her mouth the word "***HOLE". I think for a moment, wondering if there's any way I had just cut her off or anything. Nope.

Honk again. I look and she's mouthing "GO GO YOU ***HOLE". There is still one car in front of me. Apparently, she thinks I can teleport myself through the car in front of me.

Now I'm at the front. I stop and let the car from the cross street through (four way stop, and it was his turn). The woman behind me is nearly apoplectic, apparently not understanding the concept of right-of-way. As that car is still clearing the intersection, she leans on her horn.

So, at that moment, I pull the emergency brake, put my hazard lights on, and recline in my seat, hands behind my head in a gesture of relaxation.

And I watch her in the mirror. There are too many cars on our left for her to get out from behind me, and there are cars behind her. I can see her mouthing more obscenities at me. Either she enunciates very well, or i am much better at lipreading than I thought.

She continues screaming for about 5 more seconds. Then suddenly regains her composure, gives kind of a conciliatory wave, and puts her hands on the steering wheel.

Point made. I pop the emergency brake and proceed. I notice she makes an effort to lag several cars behind me the rest of the way to the highway.

If that woman is THAT worked up at 7 am, I can't imagine what the rest of her day is like.

Yea, people are always in a hurry. Over here in miami, I seen a truck moving from lane to lane trying to cut everyone
smile_k_ani_32.gif
. My friend does this thing, where if the people behind her are impatient, she just drives really slowly. Road rage at 7 am, that's just too early lol.

Very nicely handled.
smile.gif

You just have to feel sorry for people like that. Can you imagine living with that poison in your veins every day? With the world constantly pulling your emotional puppet strings? It sounds horrible.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (endparenthesis @ Aug. 31 2005,12:05)]Very nicely handled.
smile.gif

You just have to feel sorry for people like that. Can you imagine living with that poison in your veins every day? With the world constantly pulling your emotional puppet strings? It sounds horrible.
Oh, I can't say I've never felt rage on the road... but I usually internalise it, or else turn to the XM Comedy channel.

Personally, it irritates me when people drive slowly in the left lane. Unless you're passing, pull over!

Another pet peeve is when people race like a maniac to cut me off, only to step on their brake immediately because they need to turn, when there was nobody else behind me. Why risk somebody not paying attention and rear-ending you?

I do the same sort of things to people acting like that.
My wife and I will sit there and laugh as the person in the other vehicle goes nuts.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I do the same sort of things to people acting like that.
My wife and I will sit there and laugh as the person in the other vehicle goes nuts.

Don't know where you guys live, but I won't risk this in NY....Road rage has been the cause of some violence around here, and I don't want to get mixed up in that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Don't know where you guys live, but I won't risk this in NY....Road rage has been the cause of some violence around here, and I don't want to get mixed up in that.

That's the same thing that my friend from NY says, when he sees people in Florida drive crazy, he says let them try....let them try.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (schloaty @ Aug. 31 2005,9:14)]Don't know where you guys live, but I won't risk this in NY....Road rage has been the cause of some violence around here, and I don't want to get mixed up in that.
NY state doesn't allow for carrying handguns in your car, do they?

In Texas, lots of people have guns in their car. Anybody who would get violent has to consider whether he wants to risk the other driver being armed.

In NY, you can more safely assume the other driver is not armed.

i dont generally get worked up though occationally ppl do tourqe me off. Scott, what you did sounds like something my wife would do.

as to road rage. my Uncle lived in Chicago, Orlando, Seattle, and Honalulu and couldnt figure out what all the stuff about road rage was about in south Cali. well he got stationed in the San Diego area and after about a half hour in LA traffic he wanted to kill some one
smile_n_32.gif

Quite a while ago, I did a six-month co-op with an engineering firm in the Wasington DC area.

My boss, who was an extremely quiet guy, had an 'unusual' form of entertainment:

Where I-270 intersects the DC beltway, there is a section of road prior to the beltway where you must choose which direction on the beltway you'd like to go. This section is about 1/2 mile long and has a large thick line so you know if your heading for the beltway west and south (counterclockwise) or east and north (clockwise). My boss would look for someone on the 'wrong' side of the thick line, with turn-signals flashing, obviously trying to switch to the other side. He would pull up exactly opposite that person and pretend that he didn't know they wanted to get over (often ignoring horns and screaming). He would stay in this position until the road separated and the other person was 'doomed' to going the wrong way on the beltway.

During rush hour and with no close exits to get turned around, this could cause the person over an hour of additional driving time. I'm surprised he's still alive....

And he is your direct supervisor? Oy! I wouldn't get into a game of Risk with him. He may wanna take over the world - or else!

That boss is pretty much the perfect storm of passive-aggressiveness.  He probably doesn't have the cojones to take on the family chihuahua without surrounding himself in a ton of steel first.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Aug. 31 2005,5:08)]And he is your direct supervisor?
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quite a while ago,
- actually this was back in 1978 - not still my boss... have not seen him in 27 yrs...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RL7836 @ Aug. 31 2005,4:51)]Quite a while ago, I did a six-month co-op with an engineering firm in the Wasington DC area.

My boss, who was an extremely quiet guy, had an 'unusual' form of entertainment:

Where I-270 intersects the DC beltway, there is a section of road prior to the beltway where you must choose which direction on the beltway you'd like to go. This section is about 1/2 mile long and has a large thick line so you know if your heading for the beltway west and south (counterclockwise) or east and north (clockwise). My boss would look for someone on the 'wrong' side of the thick line, with turn-signals flashing, obviously trying to switch to the other side. He would pull up exactly opposite that person and pretend that he didn't know they wanted to get over (often ignoring horns and screaming). He would stay in this position until the road separated and the other person was 'doomed' to going the wrong way on the beltway.

During rush hour and with no close exits to get turned around, this could cause the person over an hour of additional driving time. I'm surprised he's still alive....
Some people are alive ONLY because it's illegal to kill them.

Your boss is such a person.

I'd have zero use for such a waste of space breathing my air.

I really do hope he does this to the wrong guy someday, and gets what I think he deserves.

Back