What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rot ondeveloping leaf

Help!!

I just noticed some blackish-brown tissue in the newest developing leaf of my Nepenthes macrophylla. The affected leaf is only about 3/4" long--the plant is only about 7" across.

If the affected area shows signs of growing, I'm tempted to cut the leaf to a very short (less than 1/8") stub. Would this kill the plant? My knowledge of Nepenthes anatomy is poor - not sure if this would remove the apical meristem.

I've been growing Nepenthes for many years -- this is the first time I've seen what appears to be leaf rot.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
KPG
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I cut off anything that is brown or black, particularly since it is in an artificial environment. I am going by the premise that if it isn't green, it isn't helping with photosynthesis and removing it will relieve stress on the plant and prevent mold.

Are you talking about the still curled up leaf that is emerging? Where is the brown spot located? Near the tip? Near the base? In between?

Can you post a pic?

kind of a sticky decision. If you cut too far down you will probably hit the next leaf curled inside also. And cutting through fresh tissue posses a potential risk for more pathogen infection. If the brown spot doesn't appear to be getting bigger faster or is not down close to the crown of the plant then I would probably leave it and let the leaf grow out.

Tony

Tony, the spot is between the base and the tip. I don't hve a web address for posting - I will e-mail photos direct.

Thanks much,
KPG

Back