What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

poison frogs

could some please explain how to set up a terrium/vivarium for these? i saw the one that rattler made and i really liked that one.. i am looking into these and i would like some info. please feel free to post any pics u want to share too..

thanks

Brad

Dendroboard

Dendoboard is about the most informative English site out there. they kinda take offence if yah dont use the search function before asking begineer questions. setting up tanks is easy, basically i use a layer of styrofoam packing peanuts, covered by plastic window screening. and than cover it with a mix of cocopeat, with some peat moss, LFS and finly ground cypress mulch. add some chemically stable rocks, grapewood, cypress driftwood, ghost wood, or some other tropical drift wood. than add plants let it grow out for 3 or 4 weeks than add frogs. if i have all the materials at my house and am not using a background i can build a 10-40 gallon tank in a few hours. with a cork or tree fern fiber background it takes a while to get that set up right plus 24-36 hours for the silicone to cure. more time is also nessisary if your setting up a waterfall or similar. a simple pond with no moving water takes the same amount of time as a standard set up with no water feature

ok..thanks.i have lots of reading to do...

thanks

Brad

rattler_mt,
Thanks for the link, I guess.
smile_m_32.gif

Just be aware there are alot of different opinions out there on keeping them. I have had them for over 3 years and some of the "rules" Ithought you had to follow aren't nessecarily true.
Enjoy your new adventure. I am getting more into CP's so this is mine,LOL.
Mark W.

I thought dart frogs can drown if there's running water. But I have no experience with them and don't know where I got that idea.

no, running water wont drown them aslong as care is taken in the setup. you dont want the water flowing to fast or have places where the frogs can get trapped under water. lots of keepers have tanks with water falls and rivers in their tanks.

as far as Marks comment on not having to follow the "rules"(im not sure which rules he is talking about), if yah follow the basic guidelines and pay attention its rather hard to fail with them. a well setup, simple, planted tank will get yah 90% of the way there. as long as the frogs feel secure, the humidity is high, temps are about right and they are eating you shold have ZERO problems if you start with healthy CB frogs.

Back