What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Black Satin Sassy"

*Barracuda_45*

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama
smile.gif
Took some pics of Sassy molting the other night and figured i would share with you all since alot of people have never seen a tarantula molt befour or how they do it..
First shes on her back on a pillow bed of her webbing. sorry the pic is blurry it was befour i adjusted the cam. Also you will notice in some pics white dew drops on her as i always mist my Ts as they are molting extra humidity helps the process along.
blacksatinsassymolting05A.jpg

Then she poped her top and is slowly pushing her self out of the old exoskeloton.
blacksatinsassymolting05B.jpg

Fangs are white till the blood flow gets cerculating and they harden and turn black once again.
blacksatinsassymolting05D.jpg

and almost done,
blacksatinsassymolting05E.jpg

and now done and just relaxing after a long strugle to get free and working the blood flow to all her body parts.
blacksatinsassymolting05F.jpg

and after now right side up and recooping. will take 1 week for her to harden and be able to eat prey once again.
blacksatinsassymolting05.jpg

There body always seems so tiny afterwards till there blood flow gets going and they harden then you can tell they are bigger than they were befour molting..

Nice pictures. I had a rose hair that molted quite a few times.

Yours looks like the type my brother had way back when, that one got lose in the house 2 weeks before we moved. I just can't imagine if the new owners found it walking around.

Very interesting. Do you do anything with the exoskeletons?

i used to have a tarantula. it was a rose hair but it died from unknown reasons.she molted right before she died so i thinks that what did it...:(

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Dec. 27 2005,2:29)]Very interesting. Do you do anything with the exoskeletons?
Hey PlantAKiss, no i dont do anything with the molts but my better half JR use to preserve um and take um to his old shop and scare the crap outa his boss and buddies when he worked there, alot of people use them for things. I use to give some nice molts to the kids when they was little so they could take um to school show people and the teachers. I have 4 new baby T's commin in i cant wait..
smile_n_32.gif

glider14, if your T molted then passed away could be it was a male as they are very very short lived once they have there last molt to maturity. They tend to live anywheres from weeks to several months befour passing..

Thanks Gawd_oOo.. Sassy and one of my new babies commin in are gona be my only terrestrial Ts as i adopted out all 79 of my others awhile back and i am setting up a display/tank of several compartments with pokies in each one as im more into pokies=ornamental tree tarantulas, im also working on getting a few very rare pokies there are only a few in the US right now and most are not old enough for the breeders to get egg sacks out of, but some CP=captive bred babies have made it across into the US there just so darn expensive right now for just a 1/2 inch baby.

ok why int it coming up?
mad.gif
just veiw my photo bucket album

its nappy123 if this dont come up
DSC00021.jpg

ya haha
smile.gif

First off very pretty rosey, second Ts dont have to have a small abdomen to be a male, third it never should have been kept on sand. Was it wild caught by any chance? or captive born? By any chance did it make any real heavy webbing after its last molt? How was it acting befour it passed away?? Just curious. I have been working with and keeping Ts for more than 35yrs..
smile.gif

Great pictures Tracey! Very gross and cool at the same time
cool.gif

*Barracuda_45*, doesn't your tarantula eat her exoskeleton after she sheds to help harden the new one? I have a female crayfish, and she eats her exoskeleton (except for the claws) after she molts.

-Ben

ok rosey wasnt always kept on sand about a year ago i switched. she was on orchid bark... was sand bad?? i bought her about 4 years ago from a local petstore so i dont know her origins. she made heavy webbing before she last molted(as seen in the picture) and i just kept it in there. she was acting VERY wiered. from the time she molted that one time till the one she died
smile_h_32.gif
she ate very seldomly about once every 2 months even when food was supplied... she was even afraid of her favorite food pinkeys. she wouldnt even go near them. Oh i always kept her water dish full too

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Jan. 17 2006,2:39)]*Barracuda_45*, doesn't your tarantula eat her exoskeleton after she sheds to help harden the new one?  I have a female crayfish, and she eats her exoskeleton (except for the claws) after she molts.

-Ben
Drosera36, no my Ts dont eat there exo, sometimes Ts will wad them up so bad ya cant tell what it was other than a ball of tore up exo, most the time though i get it out of there enclosure right away if i am right there when they molt, most Ts will kick it to the side.

Thats ok glider14, alot of T owners dont know whats best for there T to be on as far as substarte goes. She should have been on peatmoss mix with some vermiculite or you can use those bricks of bed a beast, or cocofiber moistend. Roseys like it alittle on the drier side. If she came from a pet shop more than likely she was WC=wild caught. As for feeding pinkies alot of people had great probs with pinkies and crix that they got from pet shops or bait stores a few yrs back where after feeding for so long there T would act strange and pass away for no reason, i and few others had discoverd that the pinkies were not only kept on cedar bedding but the shop owners or employies had been treating there mice and rats for mites with chemicals and that had gotting on the pinkies skin and then in turn people were feeding there Ts those pinkies and the chemicals where slowly killing there Ts, with crix they were using cedar or even pine for bedding for them and the oils were getting on the crix and in turn owners were using them and same thing the Ts were slowly being poisioned. It pays to raise your own feeders as you know they are safe and what they have been raised on. There are also parasites that come in with WC Ts alot of times the owner never knows till one day they find there T dead for no reason and they might find a grub like parasite in the T enclosure that had grown and been eating the inside of the T. Alot of that was happening with Ts about 3 yrs ago it was very bad alot of owners had lost there expensive much loved pet T's...

AHHH SO MY PETSHOP KILLED MY TARANTULA!!!!!!!!!!!!! well that why i swiched bedding to sand it was drier. well when she died i had more room for plants and my sugar glider. so it wasnt a complete loss

Back