What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new Mantella pics

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
here is the newly morphed M. laevigata froglet, i saw the other large tad last night. and he is getting hind legs so i should have another out of the water soon. sorry for the quality but he stays in the very back of the tank and isnt up front like the adults much.

9c4ef2c9.jpg

11c6d05f.jpg

here is one of the adults
9a05690a.jpg

and here is one of the clown tree frogs taking a nap
76515cd5.jpg

and here is my visious attack dog
3e16b8d2.jpg

beautiful frogs..i really want to get some.but idk how my mom would like the fly cultures..

thanks

BRad

more assorted pics................

37f98181.jpg

57280929.jpg

7c16286a.jpg

bdd0b140.jpg

51e37a55.jpg

30c3756f.jpg

cea37bfa.jpg

Great looking frogs.

Is that Dendrobates azureus?
That's the one I've been studying up on.

I see them often at the reptile show I go to.

yep thats azureus, first good pics ive gotten of them in awhile. when they are young they are quite shy but as adults they are really bold. easy frogs to take care of

Since they are bigger frogs, I guess they spend more time on the ground?

What size tank do you keep them in? This can help me if I need a taller or longer tank.

What food do you usually feed them?
I think I'd like to stay away from FF. I raised them before, but a pain. Also worried about them climbing out of the tank.
I have read and seen at the reptile show, wheat or flour beetles. Any experience with them?
I have also read about a type of very small mealworm. Not sure where to get them though.

a pair can be kept in a 10 or 20 gal. females fight so 2 females in a small tank is very bad. they like floor space and dont need to climb. my Tincs(another terrestrial species) climb lots more than the azureus even though they dont do it often.

as far as raising fruit flys i dont know how you have done it in the past but if you buy the kits from Eds Fly Meat they are easy to raise and have almost no smell. my wife even lets me keep the cultures in the kitchen there is that lil smell. rice flour beetles arent good as an only source of food. they dont reproduce very fast and are smaller than fruit flies. i have a culture i use to suppliment the fruit flies. best you can do is offer a mix of food. i cant raise alot of different critters so in the winter mine live on fruit flies and the rice flour beetles and maybe some other odds and ends. spring summer and fall i collect bugs out side to suppliment, small spiders, some ants, isopods ect.

i think that answers all your questions, as to escapped fruit flies, i raise wingless varieties so any escapees generall fall to the shelf below the frog tanks which is where i keep my CP's, so i have almost no flies actually wondering around the house. the sundews especially catch quite a few.

Your frogs are just beautiful. I'm always impressed. Every time I see pics of them it makes me want to get some even more. Their coloring is just awsome.

How many frogs do you have altogether and are they difficult to get to breed?

all together?
i have 2 D. azureus(blue ones above),

2 Suri Cobalt Tincs(no pics above),

1 Mantella betsileo(orange and black frog in the second set of pics),

between 2 and 4 Mantella madigascarensis(i put 4 in the tank but only ever see 2)

2 adult, 1 froglet, and atleast 3 tadpoles of the Mantella laevigata(green and black frogs above)

mantellas with the exception of laevigata are a pain to get to breed. laevi's are the exception to most any rule you can come up with for Mantellas, they are easy to breed, like it fairly warm and are aboreal. in a tank they like with a good sized water feature they will take care of their own young as they are egg feeders. they breed like rabbits. takes about 2 months to go from egg to out of water froglet

tincs and azureus are easy to breed but require you to take care of the eggs and there are several ways to set up the tads, but mine are to young to breed yet. maybe next summer.

other mantellas require cycling and cooler temps to get them to breed. not impossible but a pain in the rear to get done.

if your really interested Suzanne, i should have extra M. laevigata by early summer if they keep up their current rate of having fun
smile_m_32.gif

whoops forgot the 4 clown tree frogs

here are pics of the M. laevigata(and lone M. betsileo) tank
d0ad598d.jpg

e61f9a9b.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]if your really interested Suzanne, i should have extra M. laevigata by early summer if they keep up their current rate of having fun

is that jsut for Suzanne? i might take u up on that if u dont mind me asking. if it nots for everyone, ok.

do u know a good website wher u can order plants, frogs, etc off of the internet and not have to pay with credit card? thanks

thanks

Brad

Back