What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need advice really bad!

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
I live in Canada, but as soon as possible I will be moving to Florida. I want to bring my Chameleon with me. I called the airline yesterday and asked how I could take my Cham with me on the plane and they laughed at me, literally! I can't take her on the plane. Only dogs, cats and some birds are allowed on a plane. So my question is, how can I get my Cham to Florida SAFELY?? She needs to have her cage sprayed daily and if I put her on a truck, it will take a week or more to get her to Florida, and she obviously won't get her water. Not to mention proper lighting! How can I get her to Florida?? Please help me! I don't want to leave her behind
smile_h_32.gif
I'm going to get intouch with FedEx, but I still don't think they'll be able to deliver her in a day! I don't want to stress her out cause I know how sensative they are. I can't drive to Florida and take her with me, so that is no option at all. I really need help here. Is there ANY WAY I can get her to Florida safely? Please help us. Thanks.

Ok, I just called FedEx and they don't ship live animals. They told me to try Air Canada, cause that's the only people she knows that would do that. At least it would be by plane. I still need advice though.

My brother and I (sometimes) work for a moving company here in Milwaukee Wisonsin. They sometimes do out of state moves. They would come up to you take the chameleon and drive it down to Flordia. Now the question is how much do you want to pay for this? It's 88.00 an hour from the time we leave the warehouse so you're looking at a couple thousand dollers. If you want to do it then let me know and I'll find out if it's possible. Try UPS, they ship live animals. You could always smuggle it on the plane.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JMurphy97 @ Mar. 28 2006,12:23)]My brother and I (sometimes) work for a moving company here in Milwaukee Wisonsin. They sometimes do out of state moves. They would come up to you take the chameleon and drive it down to Flordia. Now the question is how much do you want to pay for this? It's 88.00 an hour from the time we leave the warehouse so you're looking at a couple thousand dollers. If you want to do it then let me know and I'll find out if it's possible. Try UPS, they ship live animals. You could always smuggle it on the plane.
Wow, I really appreciate the offer, but I don't have hundreds of dollars, let alone thousands
smile_h_32.gif
I'm gonna call UPS and Air Canada to see what they say. Thanks again!

The first thing I would do it check the legality of bringing reptiles in from a foreign country to the United States through customs. I realize that canada is like a suburb of Michigan, but its still a foreign country and there might be quarantine requirements. Florida is especially strict about such things as we are a haven for all types of invasive exotic things due to our climate. I'm not saying your lizard friend is a threat, but you would hate for it to be confiscated at the airport and possibly never see it again. Good luck in whatever you figure out.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I realize that canada is like a suburb of Michigan

LOL thats funny. did you know we are going to need passports to cross the border as of Jan. 1 2007? thats rediculous. course its our guberment thats requiring it, cant blaim the Canuks for that one.

there are ways around it but they may or may not be legal depending on what the laws are. personally(depending on the size of the cham) just put it in my carryon and take it on through. i know plenty of ppl who do that with dart frogs here in the states but thats cause the general security has no clue what the individual airlines rules are and you are RARELY checked by the individual airlines. but i would only do that if their are no importing laws as far as exotic reptiles from Canada to the USA.

where in Canada are you at Trapper?

Ok you're the second person that's told me to put her in my suitcase! Do you realize how much that would stress her out!
confused.gif
How can you put any animal in a suitcase anyways?? They x-ray them so they would see her skeleton wouldn't they? Then I'd be in so much trouble. Plus I think it sounds really cruel. Anyways, I found out that I can't bring her in from Canada, so I think I may just drive to Seattle with her and take her over the border like that, then put her on the plane. My next problem is that I can't have her next to me on the plane, it's a big no no, so I would have to put her under the plane where all the luggage is, but they said it may get to about 2 degrees celcius down there and that would freeze her! Plus I've seen how they throw the luggage all the time
confused.gif
I'm wondering if I could get a heating pad or something to keep her warm. The flight is about 7 hours so I would need something to stay warm for that long, but I don't want to cook her either. Any suggestions? And yes I have to look into the quarantine.

Oh, I'm in British Columbia.

ahhhh to far over for me to be of any help. check the laws on importing exotic reptiles into the US.

hmmmmmmm just looked over a half dozen websites and cant find an straight forward answer about reptiles.

i suggest getting in touch with these guys as they should be able to help APHIS

Thank you rattler. I will check out that link. But I have a feeling this won't work out for me
smile_h_32.gif
I am very upset about leaving her. I talked to the airline again last night and they told me that I could put her in baggage if I drive her over the border and fly from Seattle BUT it will get down to 2 degrees and I could put a heating pad in with her BUT I can't put an electric one in cause there is no plug to plug it into (duh, I knew that
laugh.gif
) and the only other one left is the chemical ones and that is a big no no on the planes
smile_h_32.gif
So now what do I do??
smile_h_32.gif
Is there ANY kind of other heating pad specially made for reptiles that isn't electric or chemical that will last for 7 hours?? I don't think this is going to work
smile_h_32.gif

I just read this on that link:

APHIS does not have animal health requirements for the importation of fish, reptiles, lions, tigers, bears, mink, rabbits, sugar gliders, foxes, monkeys, endangered species, guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils, mice, rats, chinchillas, squirrels, mongoose, chimpmunks, ferrets, or other rodents provided they have not been inoculated with any pathogens for scientific purposes. If the latter is the case, they require an import permit (VS Form17-129) and can only be released to an approved laboratory.

So I CAN take her over now? I don't get it.

lol im not sure. how does security in Canadian airports work. most airports in the US work like this. first you go through security, security has basically no real connections with any of the airlines, they generally have no clue what the rules of the individual airlines are. after being cleared by security you continue on to what ever terminal your flight is and load.

if its the same way in Canada. you find a container that the cham will fit in nicely and securly and place him in your carryon. let him go through the xray machine(wont hurt anything unless its a gravid female and even then its debateable as to weither any damage will come to the young) IF security questions you be completely honest(if someone is using this info for transporting dart frogs DO NOT EVER use the words "poison" or "dart", they are south american rain forest frogs) security, other than being curious about the critter, shouldnt make to big of an issue.

once you clear security do not take the cham out and show him off. the cham does not exist understand? if packed correctly its no big deal. proably gentler then being shipped

BTW i still say you need to look into this more before doing anything and you MUST realize there is a chance of your pet being confenscated even if it is legal to bring the cham across the border as the airline did say "no"

BTW the heating pads made to warm up your hands that use O2 to heat up are what i use for shipping herps. you can buy 24 hour ones. you can find them in sporting goods stores

I just don't think I can risk doing that. And O2 is a chemical so I can't put it on the plane
smile_h_32.gif

O2 is already on the plane.
smile_m_32.gif

My worry would be that it would use up the O2 your chameleon needs to live or is the container suppose to have small ventilation holes in it?

I can completely understand your situation, and while I dont have a chameleon, I'd be heartbroken if I was unable to bring my iguana with me. Fortunately I'm not planning on leaving the country anytime soon, so I dont necessarily have to worry about that. I suppose even if I did, the only way I'd be able to do it would be to buy her a ticket for the plane ride because she's over 4' long and would appreciate the seat more. hehe.

In all seriousness, I dont have much to offer as far as legalities, but I do feel for you in the situation. I cannot even imagine having to CONSIDER leaving my iguana behind.

Good luck finding an easy/cheap solution to the problem.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tekknoschtev @ Mar. 30 2006,9:39)]I can completely understand your situation, and while I dont have a chameleon, I'd be heartbroken if I was unable to bring my iguana with me.  Fortunately I'm not planning on leaving the country anytime soon, so I dont necessarily have to worry about that.  I suppose even if I did, the only way I'd be able to do it would be to buy her a ticket for the plane ride because she's over 4' long and would appreciate the seat more.  hehe.

In all seriousness, I dont have much to offer as far as legalities, but I do feel for you in the situation.  I cannot even imagine having to CONSIDER leaving my iguana behind.

Good luck finding an easy/cheap solution to the problem.
Thank you
smile.gif
I thought about actually buying a seat for her but they said that lizards are not allowed on the plane where the passengers sit, so you wouldn't be able to take your iguana with you anyways
smile_h_32.gif
They said only small dogs, cats and SOME birds can be where the passengers are. I think that's retarded but what can you do
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ Mar. 30 2006,1:40)]O2 is already on the plane.
smile_m_32.gif

My worry would be that it would use up the O2 your chameleon needs to live or is the container suppose to have small ventilation holes in it?
O2 is already on the plane? Ok so this MAY work out. I would put her in one of those critter carriers which does have breathing holes. I really really need help here
smile_h_32.gif
I'm so upset...

lol those heat packs dont use up enough oxygen to matter. they are what 99% of dealers and breeders use to ship critters when heat is needed. ive had critters come all the way from FL and never had a problem.

Back