What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spare 40 Gallon

Goofzilla

I'm Stratified
Hello,

I have this spare 40 gallon breeder tank, and don't have anything to put in it.

I've been thinking of mantids, a colony of ants... turtles, crested geckos... but I can't decide! Does anyone know of any generally easy-to-care for animals that would do well in this situation?

Thanks!

Send it to me I'll put something in it. How about a ball python? They are great and easy. Only get about 6 feet long. Not a lot of work. Very nice. I've had mine since Febuary. Only eats about 2 times a month. Just a suggestion.

Personally, I'd suggest plants; I'm not a big fan of the 'I have a tank so I need to get something' mentality.

I'd avoid turtles, first; most species get *much* bigger than can be housed in such a small aquarium, and they require complex setups (filters, monitoring water quality, all that crap) to deal with the immense amounts of waste they generate. Cresties might work, if you can turn the tank on end to give them vertical room; that might also be good for some tree frogs.

As for balls, they're usually great *if* you get captive bred (if it costs less than $60, it's not captive bred, no matter what the shop says). Wild caught and captive hatched are invariable parasite-ridden, usually die, rarely tame as well, and go off their food for months. Captive bred balls will also go off food for months, but not like wild-caughts or captive-hatched.

Personally, I'd recommend some Neps.

Mokele

A couple of emperor scorpions!
cool.gif

Guppies!
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (larry @ June 07 2006,11:49)]A couple of emperor scorpions!
cool.gif
That's so strange, I was looking at these, today. I like them!

Mokele, I understand what you mean- I worded my original post badly, however. I've been wanting a new animal for a while. And now, I have room and am trying to decide what to get.
smile.gif

Jim, yes! I have a school of guppies in a 20 gallon aquarium, now! Neat fish!
smile.gif

put it up for auction.....

i would get a scorpion or a tarantula..

ive had a tarantula and boy are they tough! for me anyways. especialy when it comes to molting. i have always wanted a scorpion but the thing about them is their temper and the two weapons. tarantulas have fangs,which they hardly ever use in defense,....and then theres the hairs, which will drive you friggan insane! i was pretty allergic(doctor said anyways) to the hairs and it made rashes that lasted for several days untreated. but its ur decision!
alex

ANTS!

Im getting a set up for a Camponotus Queen Colony (thats carpenter ants) in a terrium if you put pleanty of rotting wood in their you will have tons of room for them! If you need help finding a queen let me know! They are GREAt to keep expecialy once you start getting into the 400 500 ants...
smile_n_32.gif

I know of a couple ways to keep them so you can acutaly see the ants, and a couple ways to where you dont but they can thrive either way.

Hears one of my newer colony's i made out of plaster! Solenopsis molesta (this one gets multiple queens)
5f62344a.jpg

If we lived in Europe we wouldnt have to worry about catchign our own... we could simply purchase our own. But trade law, to keep new pests out of the states agraculture is why we cant purchase Live colonys... But You can easly catch a native one.. People acutaly keep fire ants!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
But They are great and like I said once you get a bunch of them you will be proud!

Their are alot of ways to keep them, and feed them, and REALLY easy!

http://p211.ezboard.com/bantfarm
http://queenant.proboards82.com/index.cgi

Cheers!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mokele @ June 06 2006,9:06)]I'd avoid turtles, first; most species get *much* bigger than can be housed in such a small aquarium, and they require complex setups (filters, monitoring water quality, all that crap) to deal with the immense amounts of waste they generate. Cresties might work, if you can turn the tank on end to give them vertical room; that might also be good for some tree frogs.
Wouldn't one of the mud or musk turtles fit the bill of a small, relatively undemanding turtle?

Newts perhaps. Pleurodeles waltl or Triturus karelinii would fit the bill well.

A pair of bearded dragons would go perfect in there. I breed them and i keep the parents in a 40 gallon breeder.
smile_n_32.gif

yea then you could feed them some Harvester ants! To bad you probably dont live in central Mid west cause then you could simply start a small colony and occasionaly let them into youre dragons layer!! I hear bearded Dragons love them, plus they are healthy! Where ealse are they going to get that formic acid for their health! (it is bearded dragons that like Harvester ants right?)

Cheers

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Wouldn't one of the mud or musk turtles fit the bill of a small, relatively undemanding turtle?

Probably, or a male map turtle (they get to about 3", while females can exceed 9").

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]it is bearded dragons that like Harvester ants right?

I think you may be confusing them with horned lizards (aka 'horny toads'), which require a diet of ants to survive.

Mokele

laugh.gif
yea its horny toads... I guess I get those confused quite often.

cheers

Leopard geckos. I have two. Just don't put two males in there. I'd just get females if I was you. Three or so would be happy in there.

ANTS! Where do you live? how about 1000 ants?!

Why would the guy want ants? I mean come one go outside and see the ants. Get something sweet.

... cause you can have over 1000 of them swarming youre little prey in youre 40 gallon tank... you cant tell me thats not cool.. or a bunch of massive carpenter ants swarming his tank?

OH yea, and he said he was thinking about it... so
smile_n_32.gif

To bad we cant get leaf cutters (unless you live down south).
Cheers

I dunno man. Ants? I think I would go for something else. Get the ants though and feed your CP's.

Back