What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

look what came in the mail today...........

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
Centruroides hentzi(there were 3 adults total)
53a73241.jpg

330a5555.jpg

Centruroides vittatus(there was 1 adult and i havent figured out how many babies yet)
1d53750a.jpg

86ed66c9.jpg

Awww they're so cute.

a termite backpack
54ccd464.jpg

another pick of mom(can yah see 2 babies?, there were 14 i think, only one didnt survive shipping)
d7cb127d.jpg

one more of one of the hentzi
ad530556.jpg

AWESOME, I love scorpions! Where'd you get the termites from, and where'd you get the scorpions? I use to have a website called The Scorpion Forum years ago till the free hosting company took my site hostage. Oh well, it was cool.

the termites were collected locally near my inlaws cabin by the lake. tweaked out my mother in law to find out she had termites near her wood deck but they are a damp wood species, not dry wood and dont pose much of a threat to her treated lumber deck.

the scorps came from an individual in Texas.

AArrgghh Snakes I can handle I have 2 and want more, but bugs and arachnids you can have.  They are ok to look at in someone elses collection, but Yuck!  I do not want any.  Thanks for sharing.  I think.  LMAO
smile.gif

lol............shhhhhhhhhhhhh the wife dont know about them yet though the fact that i couldnt resist not taking one of the hentzi to the local summer schools "Creepy Crawly Bug Camp" means she will probably hear about it sooner or later, a bunch of CP's, termites and even a dart frog made the trip this morning...........8 am is WAYYYYYYYY to early for me to be dealing with twenty 6,7 and 8 year olds
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif
but i did hold their attention for an hour

Very nice scorpions Rattler.  Mmmm...you do have their quarters well secured?
Wives have a tendency not to like surprises like that.

very secure, made sure of that...............anychance you go out looking for these kinds of critters? im having trouble finding Centruroides gracilis which has been introduced to FL and is supposed to be fairly common..............

Neat! i used a dead Centruroides vittatus in my 8th grade bug collection....it was the only scorpion in the class! i always wanted to keep scorps but they just freak my mom out because of the weapons they carry. i want a Whip scorpion (vinegaroon) cause they are so cool! that and an emperor scorp. congrats! just a question...arent they highly poisonous? i read that Centruroides vittatus has a sting that would make you wish you were dead haha.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

alex

Centruroides are a memeber of a dangerous family however they really dont pose much danger to healthy adults, even the EXTREAMLY dangerous species of north Africa and the middle east dont pose a serious threat to the average healthy adult, however alot of adults in these regions are malnurished, and for one reason or another wouldnt fall under the "healthy adult" category. most deaths by scorpion stings are the very young, older ppl with heart or renal problems or have a severe allergic reaction.

inshort, im not any more worried about them than i would be a bee while gardening. its supposed to hurt like hell but its unlikely to cause any real trouble

BTW please note while i do believe they dont pose a serious risk to me i still aint tempting fate and hanling them, im not sure if im allergic to their venom and would rather not find out. when i had an emp a few years back i didnt handle it either

I'd love to get a scorpion, but the wife will not let me.
smile_h_32.gif

the wife wont let me either
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
blues.gif

I have your phone number. I think I should make a call to a certain person and discuss scorpians with her. Give me a few minutes to think up what I want as the blackmail booty. What snakes do you own again?

Centruroides gracilis is the most wicked looking scorpions of this genus. I had 5 of em, look mean, but are such wimps. Scared of tiny crickets. They would try to catch them, but get scared and run away
confused.gif
I got stung by some scorps I collected in Mexico, that was real fun
smile_m_32.gif

which phone number do yah have Oz? dont remember which i gave yah but it was probably MY cell
smile_n_32.gif

izzzzzzzz got a plan, first really lil scorps, than a "pet hole"(Haplopelma lividum), than a pretty fuzzy Avic than she will be ready to let me have one of those monster Aussie species i showed yah Ozzy
smile_n_32.gif

if i was SERIOUSLY trying to hide them from her i wouldnt have taken one with me to show the kids................... im not afraid of you Ozzy
blues.gif

LMAO Blackmail among friends. Ya got to love it

Back