What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

snake in my yard

• Thread starter jojo
  • Start date
Hey, look what i found in my palm tree the other day. I think its a corn snake. Anyone can confirm this? What intrigued me the most was he sat there for almost 3 days. In the tree. Can't find him today, but what makes a snake stay put like that?

He was a bit on the small side, maybe a foot? and i am missing two finches. Totally disappeared. I'm convinced it was a snake. What else can disappear a finch, feathers and all...But this one seems a bit too small to eat a finch. Or is he? I thought i saw a slight bulge in him, so he was probably staying put because of that.

Here is a pic of him. i hope he sticks around and gets bigger...and i hope he likes rodents.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3126/2268/1600/snakeLR.jpg

i cant see the pic

The link is working i just checked it. I do sometimes have problems with photos coming up as gibberish...

tried it on two different browsers(IE and Firefox) cant see it

Yeah I can't see it either.

smile_k_ani_32.gif

not sure what is happening. its working on my end. here is my blog address where it sits.

http://jojosfarmlife.blogspot.com/2006/07/yard-antics.html

or if that doesn't work go to the home page and its the most recent entry. I can't figure out how to upload to the site so i figured this was easiest..
jojosfarmlife.blogspot.com

The more i research this little guy the more it might be a mole king snake or a yellow rat snake, they said they look alot like each other when they are young.

Hope you can see it...

It looks like a corn snake to me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Can't find him today, but what makes a snake stay put like that?

Waiting to catch two finches.

looks like a corn to me, also called red ratsnakes by some

It's a corn snake, no doubt.

Cool pictures

funny Ozzy... yes i know it was probably him. But, i moved the finches to a smaller barred cage, and now haven't lost one in three nights. So, that problem solved.

thanks zac... i love taking pictures. Sometimes i get some good ones...:)

cool picture ~he's like the Cheshire snake

oops ~ sorry so big ~ like parking a hummer in between a fiat and an alfa

wow!!!! what coloring. How amazing. I found i had killed one while mowing and it was this amazing irridescent blue nearest to the underside which went to white and blackish blue on the top, kept changing color as i moved it around. I felt terrible after i realized what i did. I haven't a clue what that was. here in florida they mosly are dull colorings. I don 't have any as pets but when i see one in the yard i follow it around as much as i can. I have a black snake living in the barn. And i see him periodically...
smile_m_32.gif

Hey Jojo, Sorry if it sounded like I was jokeing and I'm sorry about your finches. What I meant by what I said was that I think he was sitting in the tree waiting to catch the finches. I'm sorry if it came off as a joke.

I just read part of your blog Jojo.I read the part where your bird flew away. That is an amazing story.

LOL... I didn't take offense. if i can help keep them safe that is good, and I think its solved with the other cage. So no harm.
It was funny. you're right he was probably waiting till night to get him another one. Then moved on when it wasn't easy pickins.

I still read that story and get a ball in my throat. This bird is the closest thing to having a child. i've never been so attached to an animal before.
And so lucky that we have a daily game of mimcry.
He whistles and then i do, on and on all day long. back and forth. That alone saved him. Because when he saw my truck he whistled first...
i still get shivers thinking about it...

i have to write another one, where my af. grey found my hermit crab colony, and was sitting on top of the tank, feasting on one of them...
he looked like he was eating an ice cream cone. The Crab shell was painted blue...Luckily they grow back their appendages...:p

Back