What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turtle Light???

We just adopted a tiny baby Texas River Cooter, and I wanted to see what experienced turtle people like best for lamps. I know this guy needs specific light so... Any advice helps, there's a lot of products and some of them look like junk. Thanks!

It'll need a reptile-specific lamp that emits UVB light in substantial quantities. Most pet-stores that sell reptiles will have something of this kind. You really have two options: buy a flourescent tube for UVB (about $20) and a separate basking light (about $10), or buy a bulb that has both heat and UVB (about $40). The latter is only really useful if you're cramped for space.

Mokele

TM -

As you have already been made aware, ALL turtles need UVB radiation in order to make healthy bone material. Be VERY careful when purchasing your bulb to make sure you get one that states that it produces UVB! Lots of reptile bulbs - both incandescent and flourescent - will say things like 'full-spectrum' or 'Reptile UV.' But these more than likely only produce UVA at most, and this simply won't do.

If you are interested, I would recommend the Exo-Terra Repti-Glo 8% flourescent bulb. It has excellent UVB output, and is available in sizes to fit most flourescent fixtures. I carry them, and you can order/view them here:

http://www.houstonherp.com/ReptiGloBulbs.htm#8%%20ReptiGlo

Hope this helps!

Mike

Thanks for the info guys, I ended up buying the Zoo Med Powersun because it has the heat and the UVB. Mike, will keep you in mind for future supplies.

Not a problem, sir. The ZooMed PowerSun is a good product, and one that Houston Herp Supply has in stock as well. The only drawback they have is their high cost, and the fact that (as with all incandescent bulbs) you run a high risk of breaking the filament if they get jarred or dropped.

Good luck with your baby cooter!

Mike

Back