What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Tegu

Hello, along with growing CPs i also own a Columbian Tegu, but recently it has been getting really agressive and continuously tries to 'attack' anyone that passes by his living area. Is there a way that i can tame him down any? he's really pretty and soft.
the only problem besides him bieng really mean is that he tends to sometimes escape from his living area and hide in our house. This normally isn't that bad, but last time he did that he got into my parents bedroom and bit him on his way to the bathroom.

I've tried many different techniques on how to prevent him from doing so, but sadly all of them haven't worked at all. So it would be very nice if any of you reptile experts could help me in eraticating his sudden and sometimes dangerous attacks and agressivness

The problem is the species: Columbian tegus are legendarily nasty. As they get bigger, they become more confident and aggressive since they aren't as scared of you anymore.

Your best bet would be to buy a pair of heavy leather gloves, and handle him *every* day, rain or shine, for about an hour, regardless of how pissy he gets about it. That *might* tame him, but many individuals of that species just cannot be tamed.

Mokele

Sounds like it's time for a new pair of shoes
smile.gif

Lizard skin= leather= shoes.

-Ben

oh! Oh NO! i wouldn't do that! It's already happening by the thousands in south america, and besides I don't like how they look.

<div>
(Farmer Dave @ Dec. 26 2006,10:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">oh! Oh NO! I wouldn't do that!  It's already happening by the thousands in south america, and besides I don't like how they look.</div>
Yes, you are right. Caiman shoes would look much better-what are you all thinking?
Seriously, though the heavy leather gloves are the key. I used to have a nasty savanah moniter(my bad luck) and it never worked with him, but you never know.

Cheers,

Joe

Back