What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't decide what to get

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
I have a 65 gallon reptarium and I would like some kind of animal to put in it. I can't decide on a lizard or frog or anything. Anyone have any suggestions?

Something not too expesive.
Something that is quiet at night, so no barking, hissing, anything!
Something I can hold and it won't bite me (like a Bearded Dragon, maybe)
Something that doesn't need a light or heating light on at NIGHT. The reptarium will be in our bedroom, and it's really hard for me to sleep with any lights on (so this might not work.....)

Anybody? Thanks :-D

Since you mentioned a beardie, I'm going to say get a beardie.

You can get a ceramic heat lamp for night time. No light.

Or a heat pad or a heat coil or heat tape :)

Can't go wrong with a CB ball python. And I still love my corn snake after 16 years. In fact any kind of rat or king snake would probably fir your bill.

One thing I would avoid like the plague is a Tokay gecko. They are nothing more than pirannah with legs and a foul disposition.

Why you want Leopard Geckos!

In case you forgot, here's some pics I've posted here before.

geckos.jpg

LG_Tang_M.jpg

Now go get your Leopard Geckos!

Ok, I made a mistake, lol. I only have a 38 gallon rep, not a 65. Not sure how I made that mistake, I'm a dork :p

Elgecko, I actually DO want a Leopard Gecko (I love all your pics!) but I didn't think they would be ok in a reptarium. I didn't want to go out and buy a tank. How friendly are they?

Pyro, I'm not into snakes, plus Jeff would never go for one, lol. I love how Tokays look but I've heard that they are MEAN! So yes, I'm staying away from those :-D

So far, it's looking like I might get a Leopard Gecko, or a beardie, but I'm worried my rep is too small for a beardie ???

Thanks for the input
:)

Sounds big to me.

I had one of those little armadillo lizards once for like 5 years before I gave it away (I was a kid. Got bored. I know.) Great pets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armadillo_Lizard

I've never seen one since I got it as a kid. Great little pet that stays small and isn't demanding. Mine never rolled up and bit it's tail, though. Guess he wasn't scared of me. Hurrah!

http://www.zo.utexas.edu/courses/bio213/Cordylus.cataphractus.jpg
http://academic.sun.ac.za/botzoo/cindy/DSC00015.JPG
http://www.capesnakes.org.za/gallery.content/Illegal-Collecting/aad.thumb.jpg
http://www.dcpaleo.org/Leisure/Animals/ArmadilloLizard2.jpg

I've seen those lil tortoises at pet stores called "Russian tortoises", and they would eat lettuce and stuff. They seemed pretty small. But I don't know really anything about keeping reptiles, just that these guys seemed kinda small and nice.

Actually I just read on this website that they need 100 gallon or larger reptariums. Lol never mind. Although look here anyway I guess.

-Ben

When I read you requirement the first animal that popped into my head was the Tokay gecko.

Something not too expesive.

They are very cheap. Less than $20 at a reptile show

Something that is quiet at night, so no barking, hissing, anything!

They are quite as a mouse at night. They do have an occasional cute little bark during the day though.

Something I can hold and it won't bite me

They are so docile that they love it when you hold them right up to your nose and then rub noses with them. I think it's similar to head bobbing with bearded dragons.
Even if they wanted to bite, they have such small mouths that they could even get your pinky finger in their mouths.

It you want I'll even buy you a dozen and have them sent to your house.

I met a lady recently(who was wandering Petco, of all things) that had two Tokays on her-yes, just sitting on her, just inside her shawl, wherever she put them. They were completely docile, and she had a bunch more at home like that.
However, she was very picky of whom was going to "adopt" her babies. She said she had to visit the home to see the environment, no dogs or snakes(stike two, three-I was out).
Don't let that fool you-this was a few- in- a lifetime sight . These guys are normally monsters.
Why do you think they leopards will not do good in a reptarium? They have 100% air movement-perfect for a desert lizard. One beardie would do well too.

Cheers,

Joe

I have two leos and I agree, they are a good bet. You can usually find them for under $30. Petco usually has some tangerine leos too for not any more money. THey arent the best tangerines like elgecko has but still nice. Just dont get two males.

As for beardies, I can't say much. My mom has one. It's really cool how docile it is, but it goes #2 like there is no tomorrow. Also, just when you think it is the laziest lizard ever, through a cricket at it. You'd think the world ended. Other than that it just seems to sit on one spot under the light.

I think Ben is refering to a Sulccata. I would avoid those as they get big and would need lots of room (I have a buddy here with one and he basically lets it roam the yard from spring to fall. In winter it is in a 2.5m x 2.5m pen and it sulks the whole time

If you don't want snakes then I agree that leopards are a good choice. I used to own a pair of African fat-tails and they were great!! Super docile.

I thought Leopard Geckos needed glass to hold onto, that's why I wasn't sure of the rep.

Thanks Clint :) He looks pokey!

0zzy, you're full of :censor:!

I didn't know Beardies went #2 so much, lol. Thanks CPsInAtl :)

I don't think a tortoise would be happy in my rep :-D

Thanks for all the help guys :) I still can't decide, plus I have to OK this with Jeff :p

Leopard Geckos are terrestrial. They do not have the toe pads to climb walls or glass.

Oh, good to know, thanks :)

I just pm'd elgecko about this, but I thought I would ask here as well. I'm still not sure what I'm getting, although I have thought about maybe some fire bellied toads. My question is about crickets. They will climb the walls in my reptarium, so how can a leopard gecko or fire bellied toad, get to the crickets, if they climb all the way to the top? I had a chameleon and this happened all the time with the crickets, but of course she was able to climb the sides and get at them. But like elgecko mentioned, leopard geckos don't climb the sides. Any suggestion? I thought about maybe feeding mealworms instead but for the toads it said it's not a good idea because their shells are too hard. Please don't suggest that I rip the crickets legs off, cause that's not nice, lol. Thanks :-D

I'm no expert, but I bet they don't stay at the top the entire time. They probably come down at least occasionally!

xvart.

Fire bellies are great if your enclosure will hold water. Really hardy and vigorous frogs those are.

I don't know xvart. When I had my chameleon, they always stayed up top :-(

JLAP, yeah they are great. I used to have three and also some fire bellied newts. I would make my enclosure with a rubbermade type container in there to hold the water
:)

I don't know xvart. When I had my chameleon, they always stayed up top :-(

Ahhh... sad times. Shows what I know. If I was a cricket I would get bored at the top... lol.

xvart.

Last edited:
LOL! :-D Elgecko just told me in a pm that they probably wouldn't stay up there forever either, so I guess I was wrong :-D

Back