What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Website: Snakes of Taiwan

Hi everyone,

my little snake site project has now finally come to fruition. It's neither pretty nor cleverly designed, but utterly utilitarian; however, my original goal was to provide something currently not yet in existence: a web page providing quick references, photos and links to further information on ALL known snakes in Taiwan at one glance.

I tried to include as much information in English as possible, but for some species there is none - hence the language mix. I'll translate the Chinese parts into English as soon as I get around to it. For real in-depth info and a great read, I recommend this excellent book.

If any of you herpers find any mistakes or can provide further or better info than I've included, please let me know.

Cheers

Hans

Two small technical corrections, one of which facilitates showing how remarkable the other is.

1) Technically, cobras and such are venomous, not poisonous, as their noxious chemicals are used primarily for prey acquisition, not defense.

2) Rhabdophis tigrinum has actually been shown to be one of the world's only poisonous snakes - it sequesters the bufotoxin from the toads it eats, and releases it from a gland in the chin to ward off predators.

Mokele

Thank you very much for pointing out the difference between poisonous and venomous - I'm embarrassed that as a language professional I didn't catch that :)

I've adjusted the website accordingly!

Thanks again

Hans

Back