What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Praying Mantis

Hi,
I found a praying mantis in my back yard and have her in a 5 1/2 gallon aquarium. I put in a grass hopper about eight flys a couple spiders and a beetle. But she won't eat she is all green and i pretty sure she is a Chinese kind. I would like to mabe get a couple more as pets, learn how to make wing/wingless fruit fly cultures, raise crickets etc. Egg cases would be fine to.

Regards :-O

Hi,
I found a praying mantis in my back yard and have her in a 5 1/2 gallon aquarium. I put in a grass hopper about eight flys a couple spiders and a beetle. But she won't eat she is all green and i pretty sure she is a Chinese kind. I would like to mabe get a couple more as pets, learn how to make wing/wingless fruit fly cultures, raise crickets etc. Egg cases would be fine to.

Regards :-O

Hi. Most wild, native-temperate US mantids should be near the end of their lives at point in the season, so don’t be surprised if she suddenly dies. Since you collected her from the wild, then it is highly likely that she has already mated, meaning that if she produces any ooths (egg cases), they will be fertile.

If you need to read up on the basics, I highly recommend mantidforum.net. Use the search feature and you can find all the info you need there. In addition, you may want to check out the classified section as breeders sell mantids as well as ooths.

Good luck! The Chinese Mantid is one of the best starter species…

Hi. Most wild, native-temperate US mantids should be near the end of their lives at point in the season, so don’t be surprised if she suddenly dies. Since you collected her from the wild, then it is highly likely that she has already mated, meaning that if she produces any ooths (egg cases), they will be fertile.

If you need to read up on the basics, I highly recommend mantidforum.net. Use the search feature and you can find all the info you need there. In addition, you may want to check out the classified section as breeders sell mantids as well as ooths.

Good luck! The Chinese Mantid is one of the best starter species…
ARGH! beat me to it! :-)) Also the book is good too...cant remember the name... "aliens: a guide to preying mantis" ??? Something like that. Real cheap. Great info and beautiful pics! And i dont even own the book! :-D

Back