What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Now that is how it should be

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
So, as you may (or may not) recall, I have a 1.1 pair of egg eaters (Dasypeltis scabra).

These guys are pretty small right now and as such they can not take "large" eggs. So I have been having to tube feed them which is probably a pretty traumatic experience for them.

I have been searching for a source for small eggs and recently found a tech at an exotic vet who also manages a finch aviary. She was happy to collect eggs for me and yesterday she got the first batch.

So last night I isolated each snake with 4 eggs apiece.

Here is the female checking out her bounty

P1100006.jpg

P1100005.jpg

20 minutes after lights out I checked back in and here is what I saw (sorry about the quality, the room was dark and I was using macro...)

P1100007.jpg

P1100011.jpg

P1100010.jpg

Did not stick around to watch the whole process as I did not want to stress her but there was a regurgitated shell in the deli cup this morning :) The male did not take any of his but I'll try again with him tonight.

So excited to see them actually doing what they do!!

Nice. Awesome snake you got there. I like the color. They expensive ones?

Aw the fun of feeding snakes. It's almost as much fun as feeding flytraps...:-D
And no more of this... :gulp:
:jaw: and now for some :sleep: sleep well little snake!!!

LOL he is surely going to sleep very well. He'll be in the heat for days just sucking it up. Build him a couch out of some wood and an old pillow :)

Nice. Awesome snake you got there. I like the color. They expensive ones?

Was $100 for the pair plus shipping which was, I think, $35

And no more of this... :gulp:

Unfortunately I will probably have to keep tubing them now and then as the finch eggs are not in steady supply. But it is good to know that at least one of them knows what to do when presented with the opportunity. Hoping the male was just not hungry (I fed them both 2ml only 5 days ago) and will take to the eggs next time I try.

very cool.....................very very cool!

Very cool!

So, as you may (or may not) recall, I have a 1.1 pair of egg eaters (Dasypeltis scabra).

You have 1.1 pairs? Is that snake lingo I don't understand? lol.

xvart.

You have 1.1 pairs? Is that snake lingo I don't understand? lol.

xvart.

No I have a 1.1 pair. Which means I have a pair of snakes where one is a male and the other is a female.

It is not so much snake lingo as it is non-mammalian pet lingo. The sex of animals is denoted by a number/decimal system. So 3.2.1 would be 3 males 2 females and 1 unknown sex. 0.0.2 would be 2 unknown sex and 1.1 would be 1 male and 1 female (could also be 1.1.0 but convention is to not bother with the unknowns unless you are actually dealing with an unknown)

So a more through example would be my collection which is:

0.0.1 amelanistic corn (unknown sex)
1.0 ball python (male)
0.1 grey band king (female)
0.1 chondro (female)
1.1 egg eater (1 male and 1 female)
0.0.1 carpet python (unknown sex)
3.2 waxy tree frogs (3 males and 2 females)

1.1 = 1 male, 1 female........................2.1 = 2 males, 1 female.......ect

It is not so much snake lingo as it is non-mammalian pet lingo. The sex of animals is denoted by a number/decimal system. So 3.2.1 would be 3 males 2 females and 1 unknown sex. 0.0.2 would be 2 unknown sex and 1.1 would be 1 male and 1 female (could also be 1.1.0 but convention is to not bother with the unknowns unless you are actually dealing with an unknown)

Ahh yes. Thanks for jogging my memory. I would never have remembered that but I do recall reading it on some random forum I was on one day. I shall never forget again!

Next time I am going to try for video footage

That would be very fun to watch.

xvart.

Awesome! If they weren't such a pain in the *** to feed, I'd get some myself.

How do they get at the eggs without getting killed by the birds? I understand they feed on the eggs of weaver birds mainly.

Look around for a finch breeder in your area - if you find one, you can likely have a steady supply of free (or close) eggs.

This info appears dated but likely there are some breeders around if you look hard enough...

Only when they are this young are the difficult. Once they attain some sizr they can take quail eggs which are fairly easy to get these days

Beautiful snakes pyro. Always wanted a pair...so many hobies.... so lil time :jester:

Back