What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US govmnt wants to make snakes illegal

• Thread starter Pyro
  • Start date

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
Just found out about this:

http://www.carpetpythons.net/forums/showthread.php?t=243

I would encourage all concerned herp keepers here (whether you have a python or boa or not) to submit a comment to USF&W expressing your negative opinion on it. This is nothing more than over reaction to the actions of a few irresponsible people in FL who have either let snakes go or had them escape. If this passes it will be the first step to limiting all herps as pets.

Let's make dogs and cats and rodents illegal too, since they inevitably get away.

Silly silly silly. I don't keep herps but I support ya. I sent in my comment.

That's dumb. I'll comment since I'm a reptile fan myself.

I will comment, for certain. This post is bit misleading, though. It sounds like they want to make all snakes illegal, but this is restricting the importation and interstate transport of Boa Constrictors and Pythons . That hardly the same as banning all snakes.

If this passes it will be the first step to limiting all herps as pets.

I highly doubt that. That is a slippery slope fallacy. Its like when we said that we had to win at Vietnam at all costs or else all of southeast Asia will fall to communism. These are one of the few herps considered a public health threat by many, wrongly or not. I don't think corn snakes will be next, in a domino effect all the way to the humble anole.

Once the importation and inter-state transport has been banned, there will be a rapid exodus of breeders of these species, and eventually they will disappear from the marketplace along with a significant number of businesses and jobs.
I don't breed reptiles, but I wanna ask: what is this quote based on, where do they get their facts. Wouldn't this limit competition from out of state breeders?

the government is trying to place all snakes in the genera Python, Boa and Eunectes as injerous wildlife..........that means it will be illegal to transport these animals across state lines........that means it will be illegal to buy a ball python from out of the state you live in....or a boa constrictor..........this will kill a large part of the herp industry........

Perhaps I am being a bit dramatic however if you want to point out fallacies then let us look at what the government is doing.

The actions and disposition of 1-2 species (mostly the Burmese but I include the reticulated as they can be nasty) in a fairly limited area (the Everglades) are, according to F&W, enough to justify that all species of Python and Boa ought to be placed on their list. The vast majority of pet pythons and boas would perish in the winters in this country anywhere other than in the Everglades. Yet they think it justifiable to make all import and all cross stat transport of all species illegal. Give me one good reason that makes any sense. Please?

These are one of the few herps considered a health threat by many, wrongly or not.

No, 1-2 species of these 2 genera are considered a threat. My 4' GTP is about as much a health threat as a 4' corn snake. Ditto my ball python and carpet python, both 2'. This is a blatant panic reaction of the dumbest kind. Knee-jerk stupidity.

All it does is punish responsible snake owners and breeders for the actions of a few idiots. How about we make the sale/transport of dogs and cats over state lines illegal because god knows enough of them are feral and are responsible for destroying local wildlife. Or how about pet rats? Rats ravage areas. Or better yet pig. I am sure the pig farmers would love that.

Snake keepers and breeders would be thrashed if this were to happen and make no mistake that it would be a stepping stone for people determined to see the elimination of exotics. They are out there and pushing hard.

Oh, and for the record there are already a number of states where corn snakes are illegal. I know because I live in one of them.

-Ninja post- I gotta read what pyro said

actually Finch......look at it this way. the government is trying to throw sanctions on a group of animals that in all reality will have minimal inpact on the ecology of the US........however the same government makes it illegal to shoot feral horses that are causing lasting damage to the enviroment in the desert southwest........the biggest threat to the plants and animals in Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico out side of man is feral horses and it is illegal to kill them. feral pigs are destroying untold amounts of wildlife habitat and are spreading like a plague yet the feds allow some states to make it illegal to kill these animals........the feds are banning the importation and interstate transportation of 3 whole genera due to to some idiots releasing 2 species in a fairly localized area and yet they allow the whole sale distruction of an ecosystem by protecting another..............makes alot of freaking sence to me

he actions and disposition of 1-2 species (mostly the Burmese but I include the reticulated as they can be nasty) in a fairly limited area (the Everglades) are, according to F&W, enough to justify that all species of Python and Boa ought to be placed on their list. The vast majority of pet pythons and boas would perish in the winters in this country anywhere other than in the Everglades. Yet they think it justifiable to make all import and all cross stat transport of all species illegal. Give me one good reason that makes any sense. Please?
Agreed, it makes no sence considering the limited areas where they would be a problem. All species, however, they never said that.

e feds are banning the importation and interstate transportation of 3 whole genera
Did you read the proposal? They are not gonna ban the whole genera.

I read the proposal by the FWS and they said they were reviewing information on the species within the genera in question, not that it was considering the whole genera itself for inclusion. "Reviewing species within the genera" does not = we are gonna ban the whole lot of them because they are in a genera with a potentially problematic species.

.however the same government makes it illegal to shoot feral horses that are causing lasting damage to the enviroment in the desert southwest........the biggest threat to the plants and animals in Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico out side of man is feral horses and it is illegal to kill them. feral pigs are destroying untold amounts of wildlife habitat and are spreading like a plague yet the feds allow some states to make it illegal to kill these animals.
Thats the problem with animal rights activists. people say OOOOH NOO THE poor horsies. because people like horses and pigs. Because the public rates the pest status of an animal based on how cute it is.

the problem is even looking at species only....say retics and boa constrictors.......there are insular races of each that are smaller than some bullsnakes i catch up here.......not to mention Boa constrictor imperitor is native to the US

I am short on time so I will likely post tomorrow but I have the pdf on my desktop and this is what it says:

We, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service or We), are reviewing available biological and economic information on constrictor snakes in the Python, Boa and Eunectes genera for possible addition to the list of injurious wildlife under the Lacey

Now perhapse I am dense or not understanding legal jargon but that sounds an awful lot like:

"We are looking for information on the genera f Python, Boa and Eunectes to determine whether to include said genera to the list of injurious wildlife."

The do not say anything about using the material for review to determine if select species of those genera will be added.

e, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service or We), are reviewing available biological and economic information on constrictor snakes in the Python, Boa and Eunectes genera for possible addition to the list of injurious wildlife under the Lacey
Pyro, i agree that was on the summary, but look in the supplemental information section, a elaboration on the summary. Look closer,

We are looking at obtaining information on the various species in the python, Boa and Eunectes genera for possible addition to the injurious wildlife list
So therefore, what they said by "snakes" was individual species within the genera, not the genera themselves... at least thats how i interpreted it.

Back