What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Having a major problem with ants!

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
I didn't know where to post this. This doesn't have anything to do with my frogs, but with what I'm feeding my frogs. I need help asap please! I got 250 crickets on Wednesday, now about half of them are dead because they were attacked by ants. I have a massive army of ants in the bin that I'm keeping the crickets in. What do I do?? How do I get the ants to stay out? Please help me! Thanks.

um get things that eat ants or get new crickets i really can't tell you how to do it because it is hard not to kill it. make sense?

There's an old farm trick with ants, mix some boric acid (available in old drug stores) with granular sugar, about 50-50, and sprinkle it around where those ants routinely crawl. They take each sugar granule back to the nest, coated with boric acid (or borax) and feed it to the queen. In about a week, the queen dies, and the colony collapses. Boric acid and boric salts (borax) are extremely toxic to insects.

You could also construct a barrier, or a moat where the ants can't cross, but that's a little more difficult.

Rich

There's an old farm trick with ants, mix some boric acid (available in old drug stores) with granular sugar, about 50-50, and sprinkle it around where those ants routinely crawl. They take each sugar granule back to the nest, coated with boric acid (or borax) and feed it to the queen. In about a week, the queen dies, and the colony collapses. Boric acid and boric salts (borax) are extremely toxic to insects.

You could also construct a barrier, or a moat where the ants can't cross, but that's a little more difficult.

Rich

Thanks, I'll try that.

I've heard that ants won't dare pass a chalk line.

buy more sundew's!
ant's leave sent trail's for other ant's to follow if one dies in a sundew soon will follow :p
slow painfull and effective, no better way to get you're revenge:-D

buy more sundew's!
ant's leave sent trail's for other ant's to follow if one dies in a sundew soon will follow :p
slow painfull and effective, no better way to get you're revenge:-D

Ants are stonger than they look, when I tried feeding my deceased aliciae, the ants were always able to escape. And either way, the Sundew leaf would probably rot or something with the overload of food on its leaf.

I had 250 crickets on Wednesday.....this morning I have 40 at best. THIS SUCKS! :angry:

hmm try hanging the containers with the cricket's in it on a rope and dust the rope with some ins-ANT-icide
dunno where you keep you're circkets if the container's are plastic you can do this i guess :)

Right now I'm keeping it inside under my computer desk, but I'm risking the ants coming in here now.

put the crickets in something else and dump the ants outside?

Back