What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What kind of frog is this?

I know for a fact it's a toad, just still don't know what kind. I let it go because it was losing weight, but I have them all over my yard still and they are getting nice and big. I'll take a pic of one soon.

I found one outside. Here is what some of them look like now.

PENTAX1256.jpg

PENTAX1258.jpg

PENTAX1259.jpg

Ok, I found out what I have! I sent those pics to the toad/frog lady I've been talking to and she told me I have a Southern Toad.

Southern Toad
(Bufo terrestris)

Size:
Adult Southern Toads generally range in size from 1.5 to 3 inches, although the record size is nearly 4.5 inches. Any toad found in Florida larger than 4 inches is almost certainly an invasive Cane Toad.

Description:
Southern Toads are warty frogs with oval glands on the shoulders and a pair of obvious ridges or "crests" on top of the head. They can range in color from tan to reddish-brown, dark brown, or gray with darker spots on the back.

Range:
Southern Toads are one of the most common toads in the southeastern US, and are found along the coastal plain (including all of Florida) from southern Virginia to the Mississippi River (Louisiana).

Breeding Season:
March to October

Sounds like your mystery is solved. Now make sure to wash your hands after handling those toads. Don't want to get any toxin in your eyes or mouth......."eat a toad in the morning and nothing worse will happen for the rest of your day." :0o:

eat a toad in the morning and nothing worse will happen for the rest of your day." :0o:

LOL. Good to know ;) She said I could keep it in a tank and it'll eat crickets 2 times a week, but I'm not sure I want to because when I was raising it, it was losing weight. That's why I let it go and just watched them grow in my yard. But yes, mystery solved :)

Back