What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deathstalker scorpion

I was at the pet shop the other day and found some new kinds. Other places here just have emperors. I picked up a flat tail scorpion that is only a couple months old they said. Talking to the guy though I asked about the scorpion from the middle east. I knew it had the word death in it. I thought it was deathwalker. My girlfriend said that she saw deathstalker and it was yellow. This one I thought was black. The guy said the flat rock is not very dangerous to humans, but said he would not mess with this yellow one that was marked as deathstalker. So question here is are they allowed to be sold? The guy said that the one I was thinking about was not, but I was actually talking about the one he has. Anyone here have one and have suggestions on care info?

In the early 90's I owned a pet store. I had an employee that collected scorpions and had a deathstalker. We were told it was in the top 5 for deadliest scorpions. He put it in a 5 gal glass aquarium with screen then put that into a 10 gal glass aquarium with screen for the "just in case".

Whatever you do, be careful.

So question here is are they allowed to be sold?

Yes, they are all over the internet. Reasonably priced too. For info on care see http://scorpions.isaac-online.com/l_quinquestriatusbasic.html .

Please keep in mind that this scorp is fast, nervous/aggressive, and should not be kept by the neophyte.

Just a word to the wise, many pet stores often sell stuff that it is illegal for their customers to own. So you might want to check out those pesky city ordinances and such before you buy anything that is of an illegal nature.

I could care less about the city of Milwaukee ordinances that say we need a fence for our 9 year old rot that is as nice as can be. I found one here for 25 and no shipping charge, but how can i be sure it is a deathstalker? Oh and by the way it is the most deadliest and it's more powerful then a king cobra.

I found one here for 25 and no shipping charge, but how can i be sure it is a deathstalker?

No way you can be sure. Not really. Not unless you are knowledgeable enough to make a positive id yourself. In the town I live in a pet store owner almost got into trouble for selling eastern box turtles (an endangered species around here). When confronted by the Department of Natural Resources he admitted that he had intentionally miss labeled them because he thought it would sell more turtles. I believe most pet store owners are honest, but you never know. Also, wholesalers sometimes miss label (intentionally or otherwise) animals and the pet store owner is an unknowing dupe.

Dont buy a scorpion that is that deadly. Your only asking for trouble. I have many scorpions and have been stung....I have held them hundreds of times......with out problem then one day its just in a bad mood and it will sting you.....its always better to keep things that cant kill you.....

Yeah I really don't plan on holding it or any other type of scorpion.

Leiurus quinquestriatus. Crazy my friend. Not many people have them. But there are a few places were you can buy them on the internet. You should take a look at the Scorpion Forum. It should give you a few pointers.

Cody

Oh and by the way it is the most deadliest and it's more powerful then a king cobra.

horse chit...............there are no known deaths by a scorpion sting to a healthy adult who is not allergic to the venom all deaths are either because an individual is allergic to the venom, the individual is a child or the individual is not healthy....most deaths to adults occur in third world countries that are often malnurished....a sting from a deathstalker is not a plesant experiance but if your healthy is extreamly unlikely to cause a death......actually they are fairly easy to find....if yah know where to look......

RIght, i dont think there has been even one recorded death in the US from a D.S.

Last edited:
another thing....a king cobra is a very poor snake to use for venom comparison....as far as cobras go king cobra venom isnt that toxic however they produce large amounts of it......they get yah in volume not drop for drop toxicity....the king cobras sub-Q LD50/50 rating is 1.7mg/kg....we have rattlesnakes in this country that are much more toxic drop for drop....mohave green rattlers from the american southwest are at about .34mg/kg which makes them more toxic than specticled cobras, death adders and even the green mamba

I'd stay away from a Deathstalker. Too dangerous and not all that nice looking of a scorpion. If for some reason you just have to have a dangerous scorpion, get a Fat Tail scorpion. I think the Androctonus are beautiful, especially the evil looking A. bicolor.

I'm also getting 3 of the fat tails too so I'll have 4 of the 5 top ones.

As far as Im concerned as long as your carefull and not stupid you have nothing to worry about. In other words, show it the respect it derserves. They are not aggressive by nature but will defend themselves from the giant hand comming at them. Deathstalkers get a bad rep because they live in parts of Africa where there is not an abundance of good medical facilitys and most people live far a way from them, so people die before they can reach help. While they do have very toxic venom, with fast medical treatment you probably wont die. And the whole thing about the LD50/50 is really moot. They test that using rats or mice and all the venoms have different effects on different animals so even if it had a ton of effect on a rat it could be different for a human. The classic example of this is the sydney funnel web spider. While it has very negative effects on humans, dogs have nearly no ill effects.

Back