What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I found a young Ambystoma maculatum!

Ant

Your one and only pest!
I found a young (maybe morphed just this year) Ambystoma maculatum or spotted salamander here! :banana2: I haven't seen one of these babies in years! I have only seen large adults in my town and are EXTEMELY rare here. Well this little guy (or girl, I didn't touch it just to check) made me so happy! Our water here is normally filthy and gross and most amphibians can't survive in. This means that some of my towns vernal pools is clean and they are breeding! :-O I can't wait for spring so I can look for some larvae!

Well here is spot!
salamanders001.jpg

salamanders002.jpg

Cute :3. Salamanders always seem so...cuddly xD

Ohhh I love salamanders! That guy (or girl) is pretty!

Her are a few more pics

salamanders003.jpg

salamanders004.jpg

salamanders005.jpg

salamanders006.jpg

This means that some of my towns vernal pools is clean and they are breeding! :-O I can't wait for spring so I can look for some larvae!
Unlike many other amphibians, their egg masses are easily located in the spring & unlikely to be confused with anything other than wood frogs (Rana sylvatica). However, they can be differentiated once you know what to look for ....

I know, there eggs are green because of algea too, the algea is helpful to give the egg extra oxegen and the slgea benefits from the carbon dioxide the egg releases.

Dude, my wife found one 5 times that size and she's a girl.

I lifted up a box outside and found two salamander things that looked like that, but without the spots and a little thinner.

what ozzy? are you sure it wasn't an eastern tiger? I don't think they get that big, and I did say it was young. and this is a female? how can you tell?

I don't know anything about salamanders. I like the bigger reptiles.

Here's a pic of the one she caught.

l_c8853823b40f4adfa81a6cfd1aa03a56.jpg

not sure, hard to tell, it looks thin like a tiger but its pattern is also really similar to a spotted, can I post that pic on a sal forum to have it identified for you?

If you want. I got more pics, I just don't feel like resizing them

that one is fine

Heres the best pic of it.

l_6ebd9a9669dc496786313c48fbbc7c9d.jpg

ok, they say it is a very large maculatum

Back