What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spider infestation!

Hi everyone, today when i was cleaning my room, yes i had to do that, i was cleaning my leopard geckos cage and i found spiders! everywhere, there some babies in the walls in my room and there are a bunch in my geckos cage, they look like daddy long legs, but there is a web? but they might just be daddy long legs as it appeared a bunch of them got stuck in the web, are they poisonis? or will they serve as a secoundary food for my leos? i have taken the geckos out and am cleaning there cage and hopefully gona get rid of a bunch but still there on the walls, how do i get rid of them?! Thanks

Daddy long legs or harvestmen are harmless. But I'm not sure about any other spider that is called daddy long legs.

Here's a pic of a harvestman

10075845.JPG

-Ben

I don't believe thats them, i know the ive read daddy long legs aren't spiders, actually i just looked something up...
http://www.backyardnature.net/longlegs.htm
they look like the 2nd pic, but there was a large one that looked like the first one but with a lengthend thorax, presuming it is a larger female of the harvestmen/daddy long legs. i cleaned the cage and got rid of all of the 'harvestmen' i could find including the large one, i wouldn't be complaining if it was one or 2 of them but there were like 20 of the little ones, and there are medium ones all in corners of the ceiling. Are they ok if my geckos ate them? they say there fangs are too small to bite us but does that include geckos? thanks

Considering there was some webbing, it was probably a common "house spider",

Pholcus phalangioides

http://nature.berkeley.edu/~stevelew/cbcstuff/common_spiders/images/pholcus_rovner.jpg

they have long thin legs similar to a daddy long legs..
but a longer and thinner abdomen.
they make thin whispy webs with no obvious shape..just a thin mass of webbing.

Every basement I have ever seen in the North East features a few of these guys hanging around.
they particularly enjoy basement windows.
there are a few in my basement right now..
every spring I try to clear them out with a broom, picking up all the webs..
but more always appear..
they are harmless.

Scot

I would have left them. I never turn down free food for my animals. Your geckos could have probably taken care of them in a couple days.

My household include 3 people, 3 dogs and ~300 spiders. Don't worry about spiders.

Back