What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snake trouble

MrFlyTrap2

OMG h8 pings
I got a phone call at work here from a roommate in distress that found a snake in the basement... Not sure how it got down there, but phone reports says it smells, and isn't really moving quickly.

What do I do with this thing? It's 20 out right now, and there's 6 inches of snow on the way tomorrow. I don't want to just throw it out and let it die, but I don't want to keep it either. Any easy way to keep this thing in something for a week until it warms up and let it back out into nature?

Also what kind of snake is this? Sorry it's a camera phone pic.

Looks like Thamnophis sirtalis aka the eastern garter snake. Very common in your state.

Definitely a Thamnophis...unfortunately disturbed while hibernating in a basement. Options on what to do with it are limited, but if you don't mind keeping it until warmer weather, use a rubbermaid/sterlite container with the latch-type lid, drill some small holes for ventilation, put some paper towels down as substrate, and give it a water bowl. Heating should be unnecessary, especially right now. If you keep him cool enough, you can probably let him finish his hibernation, in which case you won't have to worry about feeding. If you do keep him warm, you can feed him on earthworms and fish until it's warm enough for release.

Cheap and easy. Of course, you can always see if any of your friends are reptile enthusiasts, and let them take care of him instead.

you are so lucky man! i wish my place got ANY kind of herps haha.

A nice 40" tupperware box would be great for this guy. Keep below 60 and above 40 for a hibernation attempt, and above 60 for a real live pet! :)

If you are really hard set against keeping him (and I can understand that if you are not a snake person) then look for a local reptile society and see if someone from that can take him in.

I'll see if I can tie any leads down for you via a couple channels I have.

He actually found a home before I could even get back to take a look at him. Someone stopped by to pickup a hat, and left with a hat and snake.

Thanks for the help though! I'll make sure to pass on the care instructions.
-Nathan

Ah well, guess I need to edit my posts on the snake sites LOL

Back