What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

just more mantids hatching...

After about a 7 week wait...they are finally hatching.
Common or not, T. sinensis nymphs are adorable....i caught it just as they started, they have been out in my greenhouse
Here they go.....
mantishatching001.jpg

2 of their siblings were already crawling around below.
mantishatching002.jpg

Time to throw in the screen ladders!!! Here we go!
mantidsandschoolproject005.jpg

mantidsandschoolproject006.jpg

Ill get more photos later...but as of now there are atleast 100 or so crawling around....not too bad for my first try at an ooth, ive had mantids before, just never tried em from eggs

Awesome! I didn't know you kept mantids. :) Totally worth the wait to see them hatch, huh? As you may already know, Tenodera species are very forgiving of mistakes and easy to keep. They also get pretty big too.

Do you already have a FF culture ready to go?

For the species that I keep, I find that keeping younger instars is quite the chore. So I release them into my backyard (they are already native to my area to begin with). Later in July, I begin to recollect the nymphs that survive. They are usually at L5 by that time. I have the luxury of being in an area that contains lots of wild mantids. I also know of a VERY reliable place in the wild that hosts a ton of individuals of the species that I keep.

Once I have my catch, I continue to keep them until they mature. Finally, I breed them and keep the ooths.

Breeding is always an adventure in and of itself.... :-O

I was actually going to go up and get some FF cultures today. I've been collecting gnats and springtails for now hahahah. And various other little bugs.

cute, lol. I really never bothered with an ooth before sense they are so common here, all I need to do is go out and catch a few of the young ones.

Lol, they're adorable. :3

a very small portion of em....
they are so damn energetic its not even funny lol. i love em
mantidnymphs.jpg

little behind schedule
got their first feeding today...
so adorable to watch em stalk the flies XD

Back