What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My newish pink toe tarantula

I'm not sure, sounds intersting though... But yeah, lol, like I said I still need to research more and stuff. :p

Is the body soft at all, or is it all stiff and shell-like under the fur?
I don't know about the body 'softness' but I seemed to recall something about them having irritating hairs. This is from Wiki on their defense strategy:
Besides the normal "hairs" covering the body, some tarantulas also have a dense covering of irritating hairs called urticating hairs, on the opisthosoma, that they sometimes use as protection against enemies.[3] These hairs are present on new-world species but not on specimens from the Old World.

Urticating hairs are usually kicked off the abdomen by the tarantula, but it is noteworthy that some may simply rub the abdomen against the target, such is so with the Avicularia genera. These fine hairs are barbed and designed to irritate. They can be lethal to small animals such as rodents. Some people are extremely sensitive to these hairs, and develop serious itching and rashes at the site. Exposure of the eyes and breathing system to urticating hairs should be strictly avoided. Species with urticating hairs can kick these hairs off: they are flicked into the air at a target using their back pairs of legs. Tarantulas also use these hairs for other purposes such as to mark territory or to line their shelters (the latter such practice may discourage flies from feeding on the spiderlings). Urticating hairs do not grow back, but are replaced with each moult. The intensity, amount, and flotation of the hairs depends on the species of tarantula. Many[who?] owners of Goliath Birdeaters (T. Blondi) claim that theraphosids have the worst urticating hairs[citation needed].

To predators and other kinds of enemies, these hairs can range from being lethal to simply being a deterrent. With humans, they can cause irritation to eyes, nose, and skin, and more dangerously, the lungs and airways, if inhaled. The symptoms range from species to species, from person to person, from a burning itch to a minor rash. In some cases, tarantula hairs have caused permanent damage to human eyes.

I had one for 15 years or so, big mother female named "martha"... (not a pink toe)

martha eventually figured out how to get out of her cage, i kid you not... one time i went in the bedroom, turned on the light and looked all over the room only not to find her... then as i was leaving I noticed her about 6 inches from the light switch.

Martha had fangs that were at least 3/4" in length and prob closer to one inch, she was a monster

They are fast as lightning too... dont underestimate them

always wanted a mexican red leg back then

give them places to hide and keep a shallow bowl of water for them constantly... for drinking and they need a little humidity

feed a few crickets every so often.... martha was a pig, she would catch 4 or 5 at a feeding

Av

awsome, lol, that must have been surprising. I would like a mexican red knee also, they're much calmer then pink toes. Pink toes are tree climbers so they are very fast. I have a small water dish for her and I mist the terrarium every day, and I have a few pothos plant cuttings in there with her and she used one leaf for her web, lol. Socks is still pretty small, and doesn't get very big. I feed her 1 large cricket a week. Thanks for the info. :)

Awesome! I love those pink feet - they look like furry pink hooves to me! lol

One of my grade school teachers had a big female named Blackie but it was housed in a pretty boring empty tank. I see you have plants and stuff are they live or silk plants? Can Tarantulas live in a warm always humid planted jungle terrarium like an Anole or do they need dry conditions for moulting?

Do you have to dust the crickets and have UV lighting like you do with a lizard?

Can Tarantulas live in a warm always humid planted jungle terrarium like an Anole or do they need dry conditions for moulting?

depends on species.....some species are desert dwellers some live in the rain forest

nice looking T.. I have about 1200 different tarantulas at the moment, and this species is one of them. Had some luck with breeding them a few months back.

new3-1.jpg

Here is a different sp. of pink toe I thought you would get a kick out of. (Av.geroldi ~ BlueGreen Pinktoe)

topside-1.jpg

side-1.jpg

Oh, my. I never knew such tarantulas existed.

nice looking T.. I have about 1200 different tarantulas at the moment, and this species is one of them. Had some luck with breeding them a few months back.

new3-1.jpg

Here is a different sp. of pink toe I thought you would get a kick out of. (Av.geroldi ~ BlueGreen Pinktoe)

topside-1.jpg

side-1.jpg
WOW 1200 Ts!!! would you have a youtube channel i would love to watch vids of your collection :-O Nice T Devon :-D

WOW 1200 Ts!!! would you have a youtube channel i would love to watch vids of your collection :-O Nice T Devon :-D

no, I don't do vids. I'm a photography nut.. But enough about me, I feel like I'm hijacking Devon's thread.

Nice tarantulas :-D

"Devon B" started this thread.

i know lol
its cuz massmorels enormous spider collection pretty much covered this thread

I got a small Pinktoe Tarantula today too. Such a cutie!

Devon's post made me want one, morels collection made me crave them! LOL

Hey Devon and Mass do your Pinktoes move around much?

Mine moved into her new enclosure, made an aerial web hammock, molted in it and hasn't moved from her web since. I know she's alive cos when I put water in her dish she moves to watch what I'm gonna do. But I peek in on her every so often and other than rotating in her web she doesn't explore the enclosure, at all. I thought the Rosy tarantula was supposed to be the "pet rock" but compared to the Pinktoe my Rosy is positively hyperactive by moving to different perches several times a day! LOL

Only at night.. tarantulas are nocturnal remember. So check on them at 3 or 4am. Also, imagine just how much energy it would take for you to shed all of your skin off. It takes it's toll on a T.. so for about a week to a week and a half after a molt, the tarantula will do nothing but rest. They won't even eat.. Give her time, she'll be walking all over that place soon enough.

Back