What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

breeding crickets

Hey everyone! So, I've decided I'd try breeding crickets to get some pinheads for my small VFT's and drosera. it started as just seeing a cricket laying her aggs in my brother's chameleon's terrarium.. so I though I'd put a small tray a wet peat in the cricket bin. I checked back at it an hour later and there were like 7 crickets laying eggs in the peat. and more! So I'll wait another day for them to lay their eggs, then I'll take the tray of peat into a different bin with a heat of aout 30 degrees celsuis. So does anyone think this will work to get some pinhead crickets? I thik I might!
I can get pics of the crickets laying eggs tomorrow if anyone wants to see.

I have dabbled in cricket breeding as I have a ton of reptiles. I found it much easier to just buy crickets in large quanities as I could not breed enough at a time. In your case for smaller hatchings it should be very basic. Let the crickets lay their eggs in the peat mix. It's best to put the peat mix in the cricket keeper if your brother has one. take the egg tray out and put in a warm place for a few weeks (in a container other wise you'll have pinheads all over the house). I used a reptile heat mat to keep the media warm for hatching. Right after hatching is the critical time. You need food and water in the container for the crickets as they will eat and grow fast. It's best to use something that will not drown your crickets (gel water/ slice of potato/ wet cricket food). If you don't keep the container warm you will loose all your cricket in no time. Use a large enough container to allow for the crickets to grow (which they do very fast). Pretty soon you'll have crickets you can sell to your brother too! ;) There is plenty of information out there on breeding crickets just google it.

I breed crickets for my tarantulas and plants. It works pretty well as long as you don't go through alot of big crickets.

yep, that's what I'm doing! basically all of that stuff you said is exactly what I'm doing! teehee, makes me feel much more confident. :) :-D Thanks!!

You can also put a small tub of cricket eggs ontop of the fridge, perfect temp and not too hot for 'em. Warmer temps + more food = faster growth. Make sure any other humans in your home know what's in the tub! LOL

Feed/breed them on dog/cat chow, fresh potato and mustard greens and so on.

Back