What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ULTRA RARE: Glow Spot Roach

ULTRA RARE: Glow Spot Roaches

These babies are not easy to come by. I did a trade a while ago for some nymphs and finally have a couple adults now. I've seen these sell for $15-$18 each..

Hormetica subcincta ~ Glow Spot roach

100_2931.jpg

100_2932-1.jpg

100_2932copy.jpg

wow. I hate roaches but this one has some really nice colors. I never knew there was something like this one. That shows my ignorance on roaches. Verry pretty! :bigthumpup:

I never thought I'd say this about a roach: that's a pretty lady there.

Do people just buy them and keep them as pets? I don't image you'd feed something as nice looking like that to your reptile/rodent/spider.

Do people just buy them and keep them as pets? I don't image you'd feed something as nice looking like that to your reptile/rodent/spider.

Uh.. yeah, these are strictly exotic pets. I don't imagine anyone would feed these off considering they sell for $15-$18 each!! :0o:

I wanna poke the yellow dots :D looks like it had thicker shell? bones?( what do you call insects skin) than other roach. and for the first time I wanna handle a roach :p

Very, very nice. :) How long do they live as adults? Is breeding tough?

Coming from a mantid breeding background, $20.00 for an adult isn't much at all... I don't know much about roaches, though.

Neat! How big do they get?

The giant hissers used to be expensive too, $24.99 each at shops here years ago but are only $3 ea now (still too much for a single feeder) but I would imagine once these start breeding well in captivity they'll drop in price like the others.

Got my box of giant hissers today, only a few giants at the moment.

So if you ever want to give your nep a gourmet meal, you feed them one of those?

So if you ever want to give your nep a gourmet meal, you feed them one of those?

That or an orchid mantis.....or maybe a P.metallica....;)

nice roach, how big do they get? and how long til they get that big?

I wanna poke the yellow dots :D looks like it had thicker shell? bones?( what do you call insects skin) than other roach. and for the first time I wanna handle a roach :p

I think you're looking for the term exoskeleton

~billy

i think he's looking for the word "chitin".

Not sure to the answers on all those questions.. I was able to find very little information. This is about all the info I could find.

My page: http://massmorels.com/images/Roaches/GlowSpots/Hormetica_subcincta.htm

ref: http://www.blaberus.com/FORMgallery1.htm

"H. subcincta are found in South America. Males and females differ greatly in look. This species is very new to the trade and not much is known. They do take several months to reach adulthood and there are reports of females breeding up to fours years old."

wow. I hate roaches but this one has some really nice colors. I never knew there was something like this one. That shows my ignorance on roaches. Verry pretty! :bigthumpup:

Pretty!!!!!!! Pretty!!!!!!!!!

If you think those are pretty you should see the green banana roach, Panchlora nivea.

A quick google images pic

1193376708.jpg

Yeah I have a buddy who kept those... Always found it funny that he started raising roaches as feeders for lizards/frogs and now he keeps all the "pretty" species cause he thought keeping roaches was fun. I laughed at him when he told me that years ago and now I find myself seeing the appeal. But my wife would never Never NEVER let me keep them for pet purposes, she thinks it is bad enough that we have the lobsters as feeders and only tolerates it cause it saves us ~$40/month buying crickets.

I actually keep a tank of Hissers bred from a long line of parents from a mated pair I got in 4th grade. Needless to say, I'm 21 now, so I've kept quite a few in captivity over the years. I dont think Neps have got what it takes to take down one of these tough guys though. One of em fell on it's back off a 3ft counter and he did quite fine afterwards. They really like to sleep in Nep media as well too.

GUESS WHO HAD BABIES!!!
:boogie: :-O :boogie:

These babies are not easy to come by. I did a trade a while ago for some nymphs and finally have a couple adults now. These sell for $15-$18 each..

Hormetica subcincta ~ Glow Spot roach

100_2931.jpg

100_2932-1.jpg

100_2932copy.jpg

Back