What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

who can id this guy?

• Thread starter billylh
  • Start date
spider-003.jpg

spider-013.jpg

Its body is about an inch long and with legs stretched out i'd say about 3 or more inches . Sits about a half inch high off the ground. We're really curious if it's some type of tarantula. It was found on our property here in central Texas. Anyone got a clue? ???

Thanks,
~billy

looks like what we call wolf spiders

thanks sk, looking at some pictures of wolf spiders i'd say its pretty accurate. we didnt think we had any out here and were really hoping to find a tarantula :)

thanks again.
~billy

Yep, not a Tarantula but still a cool find nonetheless. I can't tell, how big is it? Is it aggressive?

You'll surely come across Ts in Texas just have to keep looking. If you don't know, look for burrow holes about 2-3" in diameter most Ts don't just sit around in the open during the day but they may be sitting right inside the opening if they aren't way back in there. You can pour water into the hole (not a lot but a little from a liter water bottle) and get the T to come out if she's home. Some people try and dig them out but I wouldn't for fear of stabbing the T with the trowel, what fun is half a tarantula?

Is that cotton or something I see in your water dish? Please take it out immediately. The spider won't drown in the water dish if there's nothing in it but the cotton or napkin will get full of germs and can lead to diseases and fungus/molds that will kill your spider. Spiders won't suck water out of a napkin or pile of cotton, they actually drink. If you feel like having something in there just to feel safer use a small aquarium safe rock or glass bead but make sure the spider can get her head down into the water to drink. Keep water in the dish and clean the dish and rock every week or so with plain hot water (no soap) scrub the dish and rock with a toothbrush used only for this and not for any other household chores.

Last edited:
Did a wee bit more research for you, im not a spider fan *AT ALL LOL*
but this particular species is a form of Hogna basing on its eye configuration, but it is indeed, without a single doubt in my mind a wolf spider, and i do agree with swords, nono on the cotton ball or any form of tissue paper or cotton, just a shallow water dish with a slight incline for it to reach its head in safely is all you need, these spiders are VERY fast in my experience with them around the house here so be careful when you reach into that cage to take that out lol.

Swords - most wolf spiders are pretty aggressive when confronted, and the ones here reach about the size of a silver dollar piece, sometimes a tad bigger.

ok, tip taken with the cotton ball, its out now. I woke up to find this guy having molted in the middle of the night. it looks creepy as hell with the empty skin in there...

~billy

You can leave the molt there (s/he'll probably eat it) or take it out.

awesome spider!

That's actually a very pretty spider IMO. I love that second picture...It would be a fun one to try to paint.

Back