What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ailing bluebelly lizard

Lil Stinkpot

Lucky Greenhorn
I have two blue-belly lizards, one that I caught and one that a co-worker caught.

The one that I caught is smaller, and very active, but the bigger fella doesn't look too keen. He's always lazing around, often with his eyes half-lidded. He has a crusty nose and I can't tell if he's eating. Dory is the one that puts in the crickets, and he says he's never seen it eat. When I pick him up, he goes stiff and still, not at all like a wild lizard. And he doesn't scamper when I put him down.

I've had him for about a month, and this is too long for it to be a tantrum or the "blues". I intended to release both, but this sluggishness has put that on hold. The two like to hang out together, I'd like to release them together.

They have a heat lamp, and there is no humidity requirement-- I caught them outside, local conditions are just perfect.

What can I do?

If they are WC then there is no telling what garbage may be floating around inside them... Could be anything. If the little one is fine, then go ahead and let it go, lizards have no social structure to speak of so it is not going to miss the big guy. If you want to hang on to the big guy till it recovers it may be a long wait and it may require a vet. Or you can let it go some place protected and let it take its chances... Darwinism is not always pretty but it is what it is.

Let them go! Get yourself some cool captive-bred lizards. They'll be healthier and parasite-free. There's a lot of neat small species you can keep that you'll have a lot better luck with. You might even be able to find that species if you really like it. They're also called the western fence lizard.

The only reason you should have wild caught animals is to establish a captive breeding program IMO.

That "going limp" thing is a defense mechanism against predators. Handling them will really stress them out. Make sure you wash your hands!

Last edited:
The only reason you should have wild caught animals is to establish a captive breeding program IMO.

I only caught the one, and that was because he was inside the machine shop I work at. I am retaining both ONLY until I can get up into a good rural area for release. The big guy I didn't catch myself; I found a co-worker playing with him, and I talked the guy into giving him to me. I put him in with the little one, again for re-location. A machine shop is a death sentance for a little blue belly, with the oil, the little knife-like chips of metal, and the traffic.

Do you suppose it's stress? I never thought of it from that angle, only because the little one adapted so well. They have a top-notch habiat, FWIW, with plenty of leaves and things to hide in, and enough crickets that the little one got fat. I suppose that if I go off my feed when stressed, and the cats, little lizards can too. Thanks for the thought.

Now, once I CATCH the little one (did I mention he likes it in there?), he's outta here. The big one--- well, lemme do some reading, and maybe I'll try to get at least one cricket in him, then he's gone, too. I DO want the cage for something else, this was always just temporary, then it got complicated.

i would believe its stress myself, it sounds quite a lot like it....i wanted to say something about that earlier when you first posted it but i just kinda held my tongue and waited for others lol.
Yeah imo, its definitely stress, if you say the guy was playing with him, and now hes in a completely unfamiliar habitat....the little one has time to adjust because its young, it wouldnt be as stressed in my opinion....

Thanks. Alot.

If it's stress, then he's outta here. I know of a place that he'll like-- I sure do! It's along a creek......

Good for you Stinkpot ;). I'm sure your little friend will thank you.

I remember people bringing huge monitors in the pet store I used to work in (I was the reptile room guy) that appeared really docile and calm. Really what it amounts to is they're handled so much they just go limp from stress.

There are only a few species of lizards that I would venture to say ENJOY being handled, like bearded dragons and blue tongued skinks (I had one of those), but most larger captive bred species tolerate short periods of handling with no ill effects. Wild caught species should pretty much never be handled unless you have to.

Back