What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dart frogs

Chomp

Oops
Does anyone here have some poison dart frogs? I would LOVE to see some pis of them in a terrarium. I hope to get some someday...

Does anyone here have some poison dart frogs? I would LOVE to see some pis of them in a terrarium. I hope to get some someday...

Just make sure not to get any ideas, they don't develop poison in captivity. People aren't entirely sure what's in their diet that causes it.

I don't have any dart frogs because I don't have any terrariums that are on average 80*F or less with the lights on. I too would love some. I've got a half dozen or more dart frog books and have been tempted many, many times to buy but I don't wanna kill them by having too warm of terrariums. You wouldn't think 5-7*F could possibly make the difference between life and death but supposedly it does. :(

If I ever get a home with a cool basement I'll have oodles of dart frogs!

If you just wanna look and read about em check this place out: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum
All sorts of good photos and stuff to read!

Thanks for the link swords.
They eat a lot of red ants in the wild. After a while, it adds up to make their poison. Someone very close to me almost got some, (the terrarium was AWSOME) but then they found how difficult it can be to breed the fruit flies...

Here are some pics for you Chomp :-D Been a while since I morphed these guys out and they are no longer with me but it is the best I can do. Maybe Rattler will see this thread and ante in some of his Mantella pics.

P7150003_2.jpg

PB090016_2.jpg

P8310017_2.jpg

P7230004_2_2.jpg

P7230004_2_2_2.jpg

P7230004_2.jpg

Just make sure not to get any ideas, they don't develop poison in captivity. People aren't entirely sure what's in their diet that causes it.

They know exactly what makes them poison, it is the ants they eat in the wild. And, if you are savvy enough to raise ants, you can get them back up to poison in captivity.

I don't have any dart frogs because I don't have any terrariums that are on average 80*F or less with the lights on. I too would love some. I've got a half dozen or more dart frog books and have been tempted many, many times to buy but I don't wanna kill them by having too warm of terrariums. You wouldn't think 5-7*F could possibly make the difference between life and death but supposedly it does. :(

If I ever get a home with a cool basement I'll have oodles of dart frogs!

Swords... You can actually get away with a bit higher temps. In Atl my thermostat was set to 78F in the summer and I am certain that it got higher than that in their tanks and I never had an issue. You just have to be attentive and "know" your pets.

If you just wanna look and read about em check this place out: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum
All sorts of good photos and stuff to read!

Dendro is an okay site for info but I urge you to take anything said there with a (possibly large) grain of salt. There are a couple of very... "intolerant" is the only word I can think of... beliefs that are rampant there and they are quite antagonistic to anyone who dares question those beliefs even if the reason for the question is quite valid.

Someone very close to me almost got some, (the terrarium was AWSOME) but then they found how difficult it can be to breed the fruit flies...

Yeah the flies are a pain, not so much the breeding but the containing and the over all maintenance. But there are other options as well.: springtails, bean beetles, wood lice...

Cooool... I'm hoping to get a 38 gal terrarium going so that in the future I will be able to put some frogs in there!

i agree with everything Pyro said....as far as pics:

boldtinc.jpg

5f533219.jpg

ba1c8d7b.jpg

ddb0eb84.jpg

a2980e33.jpg

Untitled-1-4.jpg

Untitled-9-1.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

also have had Mantellas:
19bfa5d3.jpg

ddb31d4c.jpg

51e37a55.jpg

25e5c6a0.jpg

11c6d05f.jpg

IMG_3056.jpg

IMG_3047.jpg

Great photos guys! I want pairs of strawberry pumilos, leucs and the panama blue form of auratus. Not all in the same tank of course!

There are a couple of very... "intolerant" is the only word I can think of... beliefs that are rampant there and they are quite antagonistic to anyone who dares question those beliefs even if the reason for the question is quite valid.
A lot of forums seem to be this way, one site I go to has banned/threatens to ban people even for simply broaching subjects & ideas on animal husbandry they don't agree with.

The average for me with lighting on each of the shelves is about 78-86*F depending upon the outside temps. That's with a large oscillating stand fan and 5000BTU window AC. If I get a new, higher power AC most likely I could probably get the room temps down to 75*F during lighting hours and be all set for darts and just move the lamps closer for the insects. I did it for the HL Neps so it can be done, I guess it's just working out the logistics of these new fangled T5 HO lights. T12s while dim in comparison were so much cooler in temp.

A lot of forums seem to be this way, one site I go to has banned/threatens to ban people even for simply broaching subjects & ideas on animal husbandry they don't agree with.

Yeah, that last part sounds a lot like DendroBoard...

It wasn't them I was referring to but as a newbie just asking innocent newbie questions I got a ban threat at one place! lol

It wasn't them I was referring to but as a newbie just asking innocent newbie questions I got a ban threat at one place! lol

Yeah, I knew you were not talking about Dendro. I was just saying that Dendro has the same MO, ask a question that goes agains "the flow" and the unholy hells descend upon you.

Off topic, but Pyro, is your signature a reference to Cowboy Bebop? :3

Not mine but i thought id share a pic of one of the darts at our zoo....
love my new camera lol
P1010062.jpg

Cooool. thanx for showing!

Nice shot! I want the Panama blue form of the auratus. It's amazing how many color and pattern morphs auratus can have and can still be called auratus...

Nice shot! I want the Panama blue form of the auratus. It's amazing how many color and pattern morphs auratus can have and can still be called auratus...

You think auratas have a lot of morphs?? Look at tincs!!

Cool frogs guys. Pyro, are you sure it was ants that they ate, because I heard it was a specific genus of beetle that also makes a bird have poisonous feathers. If they are ants, then it should be easy to make them toxic.

yeah, they are ants. ants that are also high in alkaloid content. you are also correct with the relationship between the beetles and birds. frogs and birds are able to gain their toxicity through different sources. just shows you different ways organisms are able to exploit different resources to achieve the same result.

Back