What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blanding's Turtle

Rescued this male Blanding's Turtle from the middle of the road a few months ago. Thought it was about time to post some pics.
On a side note, someone had pointed out that this was an endangered species when I found it and keeping such species is illegal in my home state. That information is incorrect.. I'd like to reference some literature to keep a repeating discussion from starting.
~ Blanding's Turtle, Emydoidea blandingii ~ As previously noted, the automobile is certainly a major drain on the population. The species has been given legal protection in some states, particularly on the edge of its range, or where it exists only in isolated relict populations. In Michigan, where they appear to be holding their own in the remaining habitat, a daily bag limit (2) and possession limit (6) is in effect. ref: http://www.tortoise.org/archives/blandings.html

100_4986.jpg

100_4995.jpg

100_4989.jpg

100_4987.jpg

100_4991.jpg

100_4994.jpg

Awwww It's so pretty!
And you're so wonderful for saving it...most people just squish them :(

n787308968_801103_6628.jpg

My turtley boy. He's the only Red-Eared Slider I've ever met that actively approaches people =]

I grew up on a lake that was swamped with them.. Really cool little guys!

Awesome turtles :D
There aren't supposed to be any here but discovered a population in a derelict park nearby.

How big will it get?

Yeah, we'd need a pond if ours was a female.
Stock ponds, atleast down here, are cheap.

Neat, when are you going to release him/her?

When it's jail sentence is up..

I love that turtle!

You'll want to get him under some full spectrum lighting to avoid shell rot if you plan on keeping him long term. In the meantime you could put him out in the sun and let him bask for a couple hours a day. There's also the winter dormancy requirements to consider, but I'm assuming you'll release him before then.

Aquatic turtles are one of the biggest pain in the butt herp species to keep properly, along with tortoises and chameleons...

The new house construction is starting next week, and I plan on putting in a pond when it's done. So he'll be getting moved outside then. Gonna be way to big to keep as a house pet!

Yeah, they really thrive in natural sun. Keep in mind it willl take years for him to get to full size. They grow really slowly.

Duh dude... duh.

Well, Mickey the Blanding's Turtle has gone to a better place. After having him checked out by the vet at Potter Park Zoo we all decided it was best to release him back into the wild. Blanding's are a species of concern in Michigan, so it was tough finding the best place for him to go.
In the end we decided on Fenner Nature Center in Lansing. They have a large pond in the middle of the park with other Blanding's. So away he went today.. He waddled his little but through the muck and into the open water, stopped to look back at me, then swam off.
I have a feeling he's going to be much happier, and maybe even find himself a girlfriend out there.

Farewell Mickey..

100_4987.jpg

that sucks dude me and my brother had to do that with our three sliders a couple months back. we both left my moms and its too much upkeep for her.

ps. in regards to the difficulty of maintaining an aquatic turtle...minimal. we had our tank in a south facing window with a homemade basking area that elevated above the hight of the tank so they could bask whenever they pleased. changed the water every 6 months, fed every day. the water changes were the biggest pains in the neck, they werent Neccesary but we're finicky about things like that.

Javi- Red Eared Sliders, or Yellow-Bellies? :0o:

I released my little turtle-friend-rescue that I found in the road..when..earlier this week or something?
I found a good spot for him away from the busy roads, in a pond that shouldn't ever dry out.
And I handled it just fine.
Until Dad said "What? You mean the little turtle that's been out there to say hi to you every morning for the past couple of months? That you've been taking care of? And now he's sitting all alone, by himself, in the dark, in a big strange place?"
Then I cried my eyes out.

@liz, sorry red eared sliders.

yea me and my brother stayed by the lake we released them into for an hour just making sure they left the edge and didnt try to walk into the road. they seemed to take a while and also didnt fear when we came up close to the water, in fact they came closer. i know they are not to be released down here, but these are all turtles that we FOUND down here lol. didnt buy them just saw them as babies and took them home. we tried contacting fish and wildlife...they sent us to a website where we pay 40 dollars per turtle to ship them to their habitat. we just returned them in the same spot we found them.

It would've been three less turtles to impact the population though; still..rehoming/zoo/euthanasia might've been better options.
But alas, what's done is done and it's not like you really added to the problem. Just made it equal to what it would've been had you not interfered.
And on the bright side, you have a tank for CPs! :-O

/thread hijack

Yay for saving native wildlife and releasing it :awesome:

Back