What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone keep stinkpots, muds or other small turtle species?

I'm interested in researching the possibility of getting a M/F pair of small turtles for a planted stream side setup in a 40 gallon tank or larger. I read a book called Turtles for the Terrarium and most all the species described were 12" or bigger when mature, far too large. Some were "only" 8" but that's still to big. I've been looking around online and what I've found to choose between so far are:

Stinkpot Musk

Three Stripe Mud

I have found a source selling CB babies of both species but I wanted to see if anyone here has any experience with them before I dive in.

Being from the eastern USA do they need a cold winter or will they be OK living in a tropical vivarium and not ever experience a freezing winter?

Being from the eastern USA would they be OK in a HL Nep setup experiencing 70 - 80 during the day and down to to 50 - 60 at night?

Are there any tropical species as small as these guys when adults (3-5" )?

How long does it take few month old hatchlings to become breeding size adults? 30 years?

Do they breed easily in captivity?

It's been years since i kept turtles so I'll have to do some research for you. My last pair actually were stinkpots. AFAIK they don't require the dormancy period. I'll see what i can dig up.

try THIS LINK

Last edited:
Back