What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downsizing Chameleon Cage

I have a male veiled chameleon who is currently living in a huge cage I built him that is 4ft x 2.5ft x 5ft (L x W x H). I didn't do a very nice finish on the outside, so it looks a little sloppy, and the door is the whole front panel so it takes up a lot of space when it opens. I have decided to downsize to something smaller. I was thinking of getting the new Exo Terra 36" tall terrarium. It's 36"x18"x36" (L X W x H). Would this be large enough and would it be a good terrarium for my chameleon? I did have him in an 18"x18"x24" Exo Terra terrarium when he was smaller, and that worked very well. Right now he's about 12" long with his tail straight out. Thanks for any advice!

I'm of the opinion that critters should always be given more space and not less but it's up to you and how the animal reacts to it's new home after being moved.

Is the new Exo terra a screened cage? I've read that the only Chameleons who like glass cages and higher humidity are the Pygmy Chameleons (Rhampholeon brevicaudatus).

I agree that it is best to give him more space than less, but I just need to downsize a bit. The Exo terra is glass with a screen top and a ventilation strip in front. The humidity doesn't get very high unless you want it to (that's how it was in my other terrarium).

Ah yes, I always forget the Exos are screen topped. Screen topped tanks don't hold in humidity at all for me either.

How old is your veiled? Mine is about twice that size with it's tail out. I have mine in a huge cage that I custom built. These cages are great for chams but do fall apart after a few years. I have used three different sizes listed here: http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...riums-reptarium-accessories-and-explorariums/
The smaller ones are good outdoor cages to give your lizard so great sun.

Chams tend to be roaming animals. Mine will go all over his huge cage. So I tend to go as large as possible. Your lizard will love you for it.

I have two chams currently. One Veiled and one Panther. Here is the link to the thread talking about the custom cage. http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124036
I built a second one right after this one was complete.

If you have any questions let me know, I have been caring for chams for almost ten years now. Here is a link to more pics of my lizards. There is even one with the all screen cage setup. http://cpforums.org/gallery/v/Frilleon/Lizards/

Thanks for the info. My cham is a few years old, just by my guess, I don't know exactly how old he is because I got him at Petsmart, and they don't get that info from their suppliers. I don't plan on getting any more chams from them, I'll probably order from FLChams or somewhere similar online. I have looked into Reptariums in the past, and am considering getting one as his main cage, and another small one for basking because he loves being out in the hot sun out here in Utah, during summer. I do have a few questions, though: Can you cut a hole for like misting nozzles and drip systems in the screen without having to apply some type of glue or something to keep it from fraying, or will it not fray? Also, can you place the light fixtures directly on the screen, so that the bulb is slightly suspended above the screen, or do they need to be farther away form the screen?

I've never owned my own.. but I worked in a reptile shop for some years. We had an adult male a smidge larger than yours that lived in an unconfined canopy along the ceiling of the shop. He had a dish up there we filled daily with food, and another with water. It was so much easier to keep up than trying to confine him to one small area. Not sure if the idea helps.. but maybe it's something to consider.

Thanks for the info. My cham is a few years old, just by my guess, I don't know exactly how old he is because I got him at Petsmart, and they don't get that info from their suppliers. I don't plan on getting any more chams from them, I'll probably order from FLChams or somewhere similar online. I have looked into Reptariums in the past, and am considering getting one as his main cage, and another small one for basking because he loves being out in the hot sun out here in Utah, during summer. I do have a few questions, though: Can you cut a hole for like misting nozzles and drip systems in the screen without having to apply some type of glue or something to keep it from fraying, or will it not fray? Also, can you place the light fixtures directly on the screen, so that the bulb is slightly suspended above the screen, or do they need to be farther away form the screen?

To answer all your questions......no. You hit the nail on the head. I had all those problems with the cage. The hole I cut for the mister got bigger and bigger and the lights (which you have to suspend about 6" away from screen) dried out the screen to the point he actually pushed his way though it. I came home and found him on the cage. I also melted one of the plastic frame pieces with the lights too close. Like I said though it lasted a good 2-3 years before I decided to build my own. I still have the small ones for outside use. These were all the deciding factors to build my own. I could build it the exact size and shape I wanted. I was able to integrate my misting system (Pro Mist system) and all the lighting in the cage by my design. I found it the best option that I had. I spent just about as much as I did building the cages as I did buying the Reptariums. If your looking for something specific your better off building it, and with chams the bigger the better IMHO!

Just an FYI the link with the reptariums is a great place to get animals too. I have gotten a panther cham from them and was very happy. Plus I have visited the store and they care for their animals well. Anothor good source that I have been to and bought other reptiles from is East Bay Vivarium.

I've never owned my own.. but I worked in a reptile shop for some years. We had an adult male a smidge larger than yours that lived in an unconfined canopy along the ceiling of the shop. He had a dish up there we filled daily with food, and another with water. It was so much easier to keep up than trying to confine him to one small area. Not sure if the idea helps.. but maybe it's something to consider.

I have wanted to do this too. At the East Bay Vivarium They have branches that hang from the ceiling. They let their chams wander them during business hours. They don't keep them there though. They go in cages at the end of the day.

Thanks for the information. I think I may actually just go with something different, but for now I'm not doing anything because my chameleon has a really bad looking swollen eye. I am taking to a herp. vet on Thursday, but I'm really worried about him and he really doesn't look too good. He is still eating and moving around his cage a bit, so I think it is just an eye infection, but eye infections kill chams!!!! I'll keep you guys updated on how he is doing and what the vet says.

Wow, sorry to hear that! My veiled has had some eye issues in the past. They were all shed related and just took some extra care in weting the eye. From my experiance if your not spraying the cham enough in very low humidity enviroments you can run into shed issues, this typically shows in eye and foot infections in chams. I have a misting system in my cages with at least 3 sprayers in each cage. Have not had any issues since. The other cause (which I hope it is not) that I just heard about is your light. Some of the new high output light bulbs have been giving reptiles bad eye infections. Basicly they are sunburning the lizards eyes. There is a ton of info. out there now on it and groups are in fact gathering info. to tell the light manufacturers. This has been very fatal to a lot of reptiles so I hope it is not that. Please keep me informed of the issue and I hope all ends up well.

Thanks for the information. I think I may actually just go with something different, but for now I'm not doing anything because my chameleon has a really bad looking swollen eye. I am taking to a herp. vet on Thursday, but I'm really worried about him and he really doesn't look too good. He is still eating and moving around his cage a bit, so I think it is just an eye infection, but eye infections kill chams!!!! I'll keep you guys updated on how he is doing and what the vet says.

Well, according to the Herp. Vet. it looks like one of two things; an eye infection or there is a small gland that drains the tear ducts from the eye socket down into the back of the throat, which could be plugged up. So far he is going to be treated like he's got an eye infection. We put him on Baytril, a reptile antibiotic, and he seems to be making some good progress. I am concerned that my lights could be a small contributing factor because I've heard that compact fluorescent bulbs can cause problems because they distribute the UVA and UVB in a wierd way, which can possibly cause metabloic imbalances or immune system problems which can lead to eye infections and other problems. I switched from the Mercury vapor heat bulb to a basic heat bulb, and I am hoping to get linear fluorescent tubes in the near future, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue any more, but as I said he is making great progress, and looks like he will make a full recovery. :)

So... do we get pics of your cute chameleon or not? :3

My chameleon is looking a lot better, and doesn't seem to be having any more problems with his eye now that I've been using an antibiotic from the herp. vet. And, yes here are some pics:

aacp123

aacp123

aacp123

aacp123

aacp123

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

Sorry, I couldn't get the photos to show up on my screen, so if they aren't showing up on yours, here's a link to them:

http://s1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd440/aacp123/Chameleon%20Pics/

Aww what a cutie! Here's help with posting:

photo1-2.jpg

photo5-1.jpg

photo4-1.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

Thanks, I can usually get the photos to show, but for some reason it wasn't working for me today.

Glad to hear you lizard is getting better! I live by the Mercury vapor bulbs as they last longer and the UVA/UVB output is better. You just really need to heed the 12-16 inch distance with them.

Back