What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What to start? Poison darts/aquarium...

• Thread starter dustin
  • Start date
As rattler said tinctorius (azureus) do better in male/female pairs. If you want to keep 3 or 4 take a look at lecuomelas and also terribilis. 4 Leucs would be ok in a 30g and 3 maybe 4 terribs would be good for a 30. They are better group frogs.

You could also look at a group of 5-6 mantellas for a tank that size.

I did read somewhere that d. azureus are on the friendlier side and can be housed together in slightly larger groups. I'm going to heavily plant the tank, and a few people did say i could happily house 3-4 azureus in the 30 gallon, they just told me to watch for signs of aggression.

General Care:
Temperatures of 70-80º F during the day with drops as low as 65º F at night are recommended.

Being larger frogs, Azureus and Tinctorius require a good amount of floor space. Pairs of frogs should not be kept in tanks smaller than 10g, with larger tanks preferable (20, 20L). Small groups of frogs consisting of 2-3 males to a single female are ok. But multiple females are discouraged as female-female aggression, perhaps the most intense of all dendrobatid species, is a serious problem. Housing two sexually mature females can lead to the death of the non-dominant animal. This may not be the case in individual situations without the presence of a male, but is not guaranteed. Female aggression is much stronger than male-male or male-female aggression. Care should also be taken when introducing (or reintroducing) mature animals into established groups, when aggression can be greater.

Individuals can generally be sexed based on the size of the frog (females generally display greater length and girth) and the size of the forelimb toepads (the forelimb toepads of males are usually at least 2 times larger than the forelimb toepads of a female). Please note however, that these are generalizations, and may not always be the case with every frog. Froglets or sub-adults may be difficult to sex using these criteria as the differences may not always be present at younger ages. It has also been noted that some morphs of tinctorius do not clearly show these differences. Males do also call, which has been described as a soft buzz, but this may or may not be audible outside the tank.
~dedroboard caresheet

Haha knowing me i'll be the one who get's the 4 little happy azureus(8m), and 3 will turn out to be female. I was actually surprised to hear that the female of the species is more aggressive than the males, usually it's the opposite. so the ratio is 1:1, 2:1, or even 3:1 m:f if planted well and enough tank space is provided.

hmmm well i guess if i start a population in the tanks it will help a little, isopods look easy to care for. although i think they only eat the younger softshelled ones. I haven't looked to much into raising springtails yet. Here are the food sources i'm looking into know about...

Springtails, young softshelled isopods, fruit flies, newly hatched cockroaches, pinhead crickets, mini mealworms... Additionally i want to say i read somewhere spider egg sacks, even mantid(sorry) egg sacks can be dropped in the tank and when they hatch it's an instant frog feast. I'm not sure if i like the idea of harvesting eggs from outside or from a house spider yet though.

Maybe i'll chose one of those species for the 3o and raise a pair of azureus in the 20 long

just keep in mind you need to have a backup plan with a group of azureus.....should aggression happen you need to have a tank availible to move the bullied frog(s) to immediately.....just cause it can work doesnt mean it always works....

yup, i have fishtanks everywhere haha, 55, 30, 20, 10s will do, keep everyone posted when i get a viv together

Back