What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newest addition to my menagerie ...

DragonsEye

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite!
Anolis sagrei. Unsure if it is a male or female. I had popped by my local Petsmart for crickets to feed the hungry masses. One of the staff there asked me if I knew anyone willing to adopt an anole. It is paralyzed from the hips back so they couldn't sell it nor could they ship it back to their supplier. So it came home with me.

87e28e9d.jpg

AWW Its adorable :) Glad you adopted it because it would likely have died otherwise. I hope you have good luck with him :) He looks like a pretty chill guy. Can he move around? Or will you have to handfeed him?

What beautiful markings! I looked it up and yours is especially beautiful. Congratulations on the good timing, and good luck with that beauty.. I hope everything goes well.

Probably MBD(metabolic bone disease), looking at its crooked spine and its back leg paralysis.. Make sure to dust her crickets in a calcium powder with vitamen D3.. might be helpful to give her a UVB light as well..

its also a female.. small head, the pattern is TYPICALLY a female pattern but i've seen males have something similar, and no.. "balls". lol.. Anoles have fairly obvious hemipenal bulges..

A pair
DSC_2532.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Brie! MBD hadn't occurred to me as a cause -- though considering a chain petstore, it probably should have.

i had to leave petsmart/petco empty handed today as they only carry crickets in "sm" and "lg"

my local carries one through five week, but at petco she indicated the size of the small cricket being well over a centimeter

Well if the Petco supplier is anything like the one for Petsmart, then the sizes received is very erratic. At Petsmart, I have often found quite a few "large" crickets that are anything but and crickets in the "small" bin that run the gamut of truly tiny up to 1cm. For this reason, I always pick out the crickets myself (& if the staff is uncomfortable with that, then look over what they have picked out for me & rejecting any that do not suit my needs). The staff at Petsmart is quite good about letting me choose my own as long as I wait for the person on "bug patrol" that day is there to supervise. (Apparently upper management is afraid of cricket smugglers I hazard.

If the store is on your way, it might be worthwhile to stop in the day they receive shipment just to check.

Back