What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Poison Dart Frogs

Great pics.

I hope to get some dendrobates azureus at some point. My favorite dart.
I'm always checking them out when I go to reptile shows.

Once you get their terrarium built, they are super EASY to keep.
Although you have to culture fruit flies constantly. (also easy)
They will only eat live, moving food. Even if they fruit fly stands still they will not eat it.
BUT as soon as it moves, ZAP - frog food!!!!

Awesome! Dont they have enough poison to kill like up to 20 dogs?

Steverd,
Let me ask you about FF cultures. I did raise them some years ago for my freshwater fish I had. It seemed like they would eventually get mites and the cultures would crash.
How do you prevent this?

Also a thought I was having since the dendrobates azureus are a bit bigger, placing Blatta lateralis egg cases in a dish in the dart tank for food. No where the hassle of FF, but the problem if they get out of the dish and go uneaten.....

eou812 - Darts get there poison from the food they eat in there natural habitat. So captive bred darts do not have the poison.

Awesome! Dont they have enough poison to kill like up to 20 dogs?

No, they are complete safe in the home terrarium. Not poisonous.

I've only had one jump out of the terrarium in the last year. I had one of
the doors open moving stuff around. BUT they are hard to catch once they get out!

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

Steverd,
Let me ask you about FF cultures. I did raise them some years ago for my freshwater fish I had. It seemed like they would eventually get mites and the cultures would crash.
How do you prevent this?

Also a thought I was having since the dendrobates azureus are a bit bigger, placing Blatta lateralis egg cases in a dish in the dart tank for food. No where the hassle of FF, but the problem if they get out of the dish and go uneaten...

For the fruit flies, I have all of my cultures sitting on 'MITE PAPER'. This will prevent the spread of mites.

As for feeding, I do not know anything about Blatta lateralis egg cases.
But I do know, if the food does NOT move they will not eat it!!
I also culture springtails and feed them those. Plus they are great for the substrate!

steve

No, they are complete safe in the home terrarium. Not poisonous.

I've only had one jump out of the terrarium in the last year. I had one of
the doors open moving stuff around. BUT they are hard to catch once they get out!

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

For the fruit flies, I have all of my cultures sitting on 'MITE PAPER'. This will prevent the spread of mites.

As for feeding, I do not know anything about Blatta lateralis egg cases.
But I do know, if the food does NOT move they will not eat it!!
I also culture springtails and feed them those. Plus they are great for the substrate!

steve
I had my cultures on 'mite paper'. It did not help ???
Blatta lateralis is a cockroach. So when the egg cases hatch , the frogs would have tiny newborn cockroaches.

I've been wanting to get into darts for a while but don't have the money for the special terrarium or the lights for it :(
But I do have a 10 gallon fish tank and was wondering if I could use that? I read somewhere that you can but am still unsure if it would somehow be a hindrance to the frogs.

I've been wanting to get into darts for a while but don't have the money for the special terrarium or the lights for it :(
But I do have a 10 gallon fish tank and was wondering if I could use that? I read somewhere that you can but am still unsure if it would somehow be a hindrance to the frogs.

I was attacked on dendroboard for wanting to go with a 10 gallon. After getting some frogs (non-dart) and having them not move because I guess they felt insecure and contained, I would also say 10 gallons is too small. 15g or 20g is perfect though!...But some people do breed azureus in 10g.

I was attacked on dendroboard for wanting to go with a 10 gallon. After getting some frogs (non-dart) and having them not move because I guess they felt insecure and contained, I would also say 10 gallons is too small. 15g or 20g is perfect though!...But some people do breed azureus in 10g.

Guess I'll just have to wait till I save up :/
And I guess that also means I have to figure out something else to do with this fish tank lol

Anyways, thanks!

Pineapple, what's your name on dendroboard? I'm on there too. They are a bit argumentative over there, especially to new people. A 10 is probably too small for tincs, but a pair of auratus, P. vittatus, E. anthonyi/ tricolor would probably do fine in there. You could also flip the tank on its side and install a vert kit. You'd be able to keep a pair of R. imitator, vents, lamasi (sirensis), etc. in it then.

Back