What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Poison Dart Frogs

Here are some of my Poison Dart Frogs.
I've only had frogs for a year, but they are great pets and not alot of work.
Plus you get to plant a terrarium. I use LEDs to light them all.
The bromeliads love LEDs brightness and they put out so much less heat than other lights.

dendrobates azureus
frogs-1.jpg

dendrobates leucomelas
frogs-2.jpg

Steve

Beautiful Frogs!!! I love the blue ones :)

Great pics! Thanks for sharing. What specific LED lamps have you found to work well for you?

Awesome! I've always wanted to keep some Dendrobates, I think it would be fun setting up a vivarium for them. Just afraid my Nepenthes would eat them. :0o:

Dex, you could grow helis with them.

Dex, you could grow helis with them.

Umm, REALLY??
I have a few Helis, but never thought of putting them in with the frogs.
Wonder how they would do!?!
I think I would be worried about the frogs jumping on them and hurting the plant?

i'm really jealous. haven't had the money or the time to actually put together a viv for darts.

Well according to Peter D Amato he often finds frogs hiding in the pitchers of his helis unharmed. The theory is that there is a symbiotic relationship between the two, the frog will hide under the nectar spoon and catch the insects, and in turn poop into the pitcher, giving the plant nutrients.

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

As for damaging the plant I think the frogs would be to small. The only issue is the poop getting into the heli's soil.

The Leucomelas do like to climb the terrarium and sit on plants alot.
This is one of their favorite bromeliads:

frogs-3.jpg

im sure they will be hanging out in the helis pitchers all the time :p

Here is one of my Green and Black Costa Rican dart frogs.
I don't have many photos of them since they hide most of the time!

costa-3.jpg

Love them! I wish I could get some frogs, but I'm not allowed anymore pets! I envy you!

Well according to Peter D Amato he often finds frogs hiding in the pitchers of his helis unharmed. The theory is that there is a symbiotic relationship between the two, the frog will hide under the nectar spoon and catch the insects, and in turn poop into the pitcher, giving the plant nutrients.

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

Awesome - Thanks for the info. Would love to see photos of that.
I will now have to figure out which Heli to volunteer for the job!!

Yea I dont know anyone who currently does it but you should experiment! Let us know how it goes.

Great pics! Thanks for sharing. What specific LED lamps have you found to work well for you?

The lights are a double fixture with a 13W and a 9W LED bulb
This fixture gives me from 3500 lux to 5000 lux at the terrarium floor (over 12inches)
Not bad for 22W of power.
One of the best part is that they give off almost no heat! Last summer me and the frogs almost melted from all of the heat from the T8s that I was using, my AC couldn't keep up!

Source was:
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/zoomedteho18.html

I should have a pretty large closet cleared out in a few months, which I'll ideally set up a terrarium for lowland(?) Nepenthes in. I was thinking about adding some darts, but I have this strange feeling that a 10" pitcher with a 4" mouth would be pretty enticing for a dart frog and would end up with a $50 meal... Do they like swim around in the fluid and climb out? lol...?

I have this strange feeling that a 10" pitcher with a 4" mouth would be pretty enticing for a dart frog and would end up with a $50 meal... Do they like swim around in the fluid and climb out? lol...?

Here's an interesting photo, I think the frogs prob. could jump back out:

1332667.jpg

Here's an interesting photo, I think the frogs prob. could jump back out:

1332667.jpg

Don't darts like suck at swimming? They would have nothing to launch off of either and it would be impossible to climb out.

Don't darts like suck at swimming? They would have nothing to launch off of either and it would be impossible to climb out.

They might suck at swimming, but they do LOVE water.
I see most of mine just sitting in water in their terrariums .
Here's a crazy Leuc that I thought might drown. (BUT didn't).

leuc-1-1.jpg

Great pics.

I hope to get some dendrobates azureus at some point. My favorite dart.
I'm always checking them out when I go to reptile shows.

Back