What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My snakes...

Having gotten rid of all of my plants, it was time to get into a different hobby... or in this case, go back in to an old one...
so on top of fish, Tarantulas, and Scorpions, I also keep a few snakes around... Sorry for pic quality, using my phone instead of my camera for these... I should bust out the camera and some perches for some photo shoots though...

Our Pueblan Milk Snake... He is in pre-shed right now, so he has been soaking quite often...

50/50 Black and White California King Snake

Standard morph male Ball Python, also in pre shed...

Het Red Axanthic female Ball Python... she shed a week ago....

Coastal Carpet x Irian Jaya Carpet Python

investigating the GF

Interested in a trade of a 3.5' male Desert Phase Cal King (the proper name for your 50/50) for some CPs? The snake was given to me by a co-worker two years ago, and the only reason I took it was because my grandson wanted it. He's lost interest in it, and it's not the sort of snake I personally find appealing.

I would but all of my plants are gone... Friend of mine is babysitting them for me

why so little cover/foliage for the snakes? they sure are beautiful!

Miles, only one that needs any foliage really or anything along those lines is my carpet python, working on building her some stuff to climb on.. and even then she doesnt really need it all that much...
The king snake and milk snake are burrowers, but still have hides...
the BPs just need a hide.
snakes are a lot more simple to keep and honestly going too overboard with their enclosure will stress them in the long run...

The pueblan milk snake is awesome. I've always wanted one. I've been looking into carpet pythons or blood pythons as well. Good stuff!

E-T-W: Pueblans are awesome.. mine is as docile as they come, but the downside to milk snakes is they tend to musk when you pick them up... Which is not pleasent in the slightest... But once you get over that, they are awesome snakes... Mine has not once tried to bite me.

Blood Pythons are gorgeous, and I miss my breeding pairs... But, I prefer Ball Pythons, GTPs, Carpets, and Retics...
The fun thing about Carpets is their variation... With there being 6 subspecies, there is sure to be a color form or pattern out there for everyone... and I wont even get into the morphs... The morphs dear god, dear god the morphs.... while not as broad as say... Ball Pythons, they certainly do have a pretty good selection going :p

SubRosa, yes while Desert Phase is the type of Cali king, 50/50 black and white is a morph from a desert phase... Even amounts of black to white... As opposed to smaller white bands...
Some desert phase are also lateral striped vs vertical IIRC

Great snakes, love the Carpet! I have corn snakes myself, and am working on breeding them (33 eggs this year), but I am a fan of every serpent out there....

very nice hcarlton :) i love colubrids... Corn snakes are fun little guys... hate having to force feed babies but hey lol...
my gf wants a corn snake... but i bought her that 50/50 cali king up above and she loves it.. lol
though i feed it, it lives in my room, and i take care of it... soooo lol

SubRosa, yes while Desert Phase is the type of Cali king, 50/50 black and white is a morph from a desert phase... Even amounts of black to white... As opposed to smaller white bands...
Some desert phase are also lateral striped vs vertical IIRC
I don't keep up on morphs, but no Desert Phase has lateral stripes unless the definition got greatly expanded since I was keeping colubrids with any degree of seriousness. I'm waiting for my step-daughter to get her act together and get her own place so I can go back to keeping the arboreal Vipers I really love. I had to sell a pair of Tropidolaemus wagleri and my Bothriechis aurifer before they moved in and I'm still sore about the aurifer!

I miss my hots too... There are several things I miss about the herp hobby... And hots are definitely right up there in the top of the list

nice snakelings. the whole musking thing is what's keeping me from milk snakes. i'm looking into theyeri's now.

Cody, it's not just milk snakes... Lol a good chunk of colubrids do it.
It is rather annoying, you get used to it, I let him musk and wipe it off of him with a paper towel or something of the sort... He rarely gets me.
Haven't held him for a few days or so now since he is about to shed... His eyes are so grey/blue right now it's not funny...

i'm up to 30 colubrids now and none of them musk me. the only time it's happened was milks and ribbon snakes

I've been musked by kings, corns, ribbons, greens, milks, racers... Lol I can just keep going.
Most do not seem to musk on contact though like milks...

they must just really like you. i've been bitten by everything on the above list, lol. i need to get me some leuco southern pines bad, but they aren't too common.

they must just really like you. i've been bitten by everything on the above list, lol. i need to get me some leuco southern pines bad, but they aren't too common.

I have only ever been tagged by a handful of snakes... Even snakes that people commonly place as aggressive, oddly enough rarely bite me...

Tonight I have to treat my carpet python who got bit yesterday afternoon when feeding, right on top of the head... drew a bit of blood, but she proceeded to eat the mouse, and is still alive and breathing... little swollen where she got bit but other than that, you cant tell..
I have some betadine and neosporin to put on the area...

As quoted by Barry Rice on sarracenia.com:

"Eek! Snakes on a screen!"

and

"Not again! Snakes on a screen!"

Reptiles are nice. I always was more fascinated by plants than animals (which is more interesting, an animal that eats a plant or a plant that eats an animal?), but snakes are neat!

Back