What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surprise visitor

Went out into my backyard to water raspberries, and guess what I found?
Box turtles are quite possibly endangered here in CO, so this is not a common sight. I hope he sticks around for a while.

It's a love turtle! :D JK

~hcarlton

Nice find! Pretty markings, too.

Very nice, they're relatively common along the highways down here in NM

Thats so cool "love turtle" LOL. My dog had a heart shape like that on his forehead. Now i miss my turtle:( all we have around were i live are frogs and a couple lizards every now and then.

We think this guy might be one of two my dad rescued from a highway a few years back. There's a pretty good chance we're right, too, as there's never any sightings of these guys anywhere near my house.

Your he is she. The irises of a male's eyes are red/orange.

Were you trying to feed him lettuce pic number 5 by his back foot

Yeah, tried. They don't really eat much when the only thing they see is my heeler sticking her nose right into their face, though...... :D yes, I also know they like to eat other things more, but, hey, what I had was what I had, and can't blame the little sister I have for trying to keep the tortoise around with treats...... by the way, SubRosa, we used to have a male and female box turtle at my school, but neither had red irises.... you sure you're thinking about the right species?

I know definitively the iris ID holds true for Easterns, Southerns, and Three Toes which are all species I've caught/kept over the years. Did the male/female pair you're referring to ever produce viable eggs?

SubRosa is correct. Male ornate box turtles will have red irises, more markings on the shell, a concave plastron, thick tail and almost always, a yellow head.

I see. And we never "kept" the box turtles around, so I wouldn't have a clue if they would have made eggs or not. Like I said, last I saw either of them was about 4 or 5 years ago, they stay pretty hidden under the deck I'm assuming.......

Aww!! What a little cutie. They are pretty common around here. I get them by my pond all the time, but it must be something special to see them where they are endangered. Even though they aren't endangered here, I will still pull over to help one across the street. I love the crazy looks people in the neighborhood give me! :-D

Turtles are nice. I remember that once I visited a creek/river that I didn't know the name of, and one of the people who ran a snack bar/refreshments stand found a tiny baby snapping turtle! It was only about an inch long but already had its ferocious bite and took a good-sized chunk out of a hot dog (good-sized in proportion to the turtle). I almost took it home and put it in my pond until I remembered that they grow huge and easily can take off a few fingers. A shame, though, 'cause it was really cute!

We have a snapping turtle at my high school, saved him after he was hit by a car. I named him Verne.

You can almost certainly count on having it stick around as long as there's food, water, and suitable spots to hibernate. As a kid I caught and released the same male Eastern for 8 years in a row. I'd find him in the spring, bring him in for the summer and release him in the fall. If we hadn't moved I'd probably still be doing it 40 years later.

Well there's probably plenty of that here, more now since I've managed to get lettuce and spinach, among other things, growing wild in my yard.....

You should try offering it some different stuff as well. They have very individualized tastes, and the Eastern I referred to earlier would take pineapple over anything else I tried. Strawberries are usually a very attractive food to them as well.

So maybe that's what kept munching my tomatoes last year.....

Back