What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corn Snakes!

I wish I had the room for that many amazing snakes. I only have a California kingsnake and a crested gecko. I also can't believe that you managed to get an albino Nelson's milk snake for a couple of plants!

There are only 3 snakes in the house at the moment (all the babies sold, and of course the milks are staying at school for now). But yeah, I was lucky with the milks; granted, it was a couple hundred dollars' worth of plants traded, but the amel nelson's is probably worth $60+, and I know the T+ is $200+.....
And if I were allowed to, it would be far more than these guys at home :)

Last edited:
Several hundred dollars worth of plants!? Well still, nice snakes.

Several hundred dollar's worth of plants isn't hard for me to scrounge up if the person is interested in what I have available: SG Sarracenia and Nepenthes, rooted cuttings, lots of Drosera, seeds galore, etc....and the snakes are definitely worth it. That was quite literally the only way I would have been able to acquire them too.

Plant power, he he. One more question. How long do your corn snakes get on average? I've heard that 4-5 feet is average, but I've also heard that they can be kept in a 20 gallon long and that doesn't seem to mix. Thanks.

Many snakes are comfortable in small spaces and so even large corn snakes are commonly kept in rack systems; the length of the animal doesn't necessarily mean it requires a large space. That said, if it were feasible I would prefer to keep animals in larger tanks, as species like corn snakes especially are active. Mine live in an 18x36" tank.
Corn snakes do get to a typical average of 4-5 feet, males larger than females, but the record is just over 6 feet and my original male reached 5 1/2'.

Ah, I see. I guess that's the advantage of having only one or two herps at a time, you get to use bigger tanks. My California kingsnake is in a 40 gallon and quite happy. Thanks for the help.

Stopped at my old high school bio room today (where my milk snakes are living temporarily), and took some pics.
Gypsy here is a golden gecko, and normally not a handling-pet (she's jumpy and nippy)
Gypsy by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Beardo was just being himself: lazing around, climbing people's shoulders etc.
Beardo by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
The amel this girl had as a roommate unfortunately passed away from unknown causes recently, but Eclipse is doing fine. She has a LOT of yellow on her, not sure how well it shows
Eclipse by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Bindi has reached somewhere between 4 and 5 feet, more or less mature, and is still puppy dog tame
Bindi by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And Lux is getting bigger! He's still as jumpy as ever though
Lux by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Lastly, Ruby is happy and healthy, and even better: she's ovulating! As it might be my only chance to attempt it, when they come home I may try and see if I can pair her with Starfire, because corn x milk hybrids are amazing....
Ruby by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Well, it's been quite some time since I posted here, so a few updates on a couple animals shown above (yes, more than corns, but still)
Lux has gotten a whole lot bigger
The remainder of this past year's hatchling corns (and the ones used in an incubation study, so all the ones shown here have some odd aspects to their patterns)
Corn snake hatchling by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
"Baldy" Corn snake hatchling by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And taking care of this girl over the summer; she's pushing 5 1/2, maybe 6 feet
And she likes turning herself into a fashion accessory :D
Bindi and I by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

So, no this is not a corn snake, but it's been so long since I've either updated this thread or gotten any new pets I'm still posting him here.
Meet Hobbes! He's an African house snake (Lamprophis/Boaedon fuligonosus) that I got at a reptile expo today, and I hope perhaps at the next one I visit I can root out a female to pair with him (nobody's gonna stop me from breeding them in the high school science room after all :) ).
Hobbes by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Hobbes by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Carlton Carnivores welcomes two new additions to the family; first, Irwin the Kenyan sand boa!
Irwin by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
He's a little shy, and perhaps a bit slow eating, but hopefully I'll get him to come around
Just look at this adorable face!
And secondly, this is Rebel! He's a bull snake whose ancestry is from the region around Abilene, Texas, and as he grows up he's supposed to turn somewhere between brick and terra cotta red
Rebel by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
He is also the adorbs....more hyper than Irwin will ever be, but otherwise just as docile

"And secondly, this is Rebel! He's a bull snake whose ancestry is from the region around Abilene, Texas, and as he grows up he's supposed to turn somewhere between brick and terra cotta red"

That would be something to see!

"And secondly, this is Rebel! He's a bull snake whose ancestry is from the region around Abilene, Texas, and as he grows up he's supposed to turn somewhere between brick and terra cotta red"

That would be something to see!

I didn't ask to see them, but the guy happened to be showing photos of some of the other lines he's breeding to another guy and I caught sight; a whole lot of blinding reds in some of them, and Rebel's also already getting red on his sides so I don't doubt he'll be changing colors soon enough.
Also, holding some suspicions Rebel might be female; really short, stumpy tail for a male....but I won't mind having a girl to start off. Males tend to be cheaper and easier to find later on...

I'm still making the family grow...
This is Halailah, a newborn (still has her umbilical scar) Baja California king snake. My original intent was to get a Mexican Black king, but this girl is just as dark (save her vertebral stripe) and a lot cheaper, and she's so far fantastically laid back.
Lampropeltis getula "nitida" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Current opinion is that these guys are an extremely dark form of California king (Lampropeltis getula californiae, "nitida" phase), but I find them a league above most California's.

The other is Cinder; he's a Colorado Desert/Resplendent Shovelnose snake (Chionactis annulata/occipitalis annulata).
Chionactis annulata by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
These guys eat insects (and apparently this one likes crickets so I have to get those now), which makes him more like my mantids than most other snakes in terms of feeding. Hoping I can get him to take dubia roaches or mealworms, but at least crickets are phenomenally cheap...

Nice snakes! I'm more of a gecko and frog guy, but still have one nice Ball Python. Your Kenyan Sand Boa looks so happy.

He has some shedding issues though; may need to source a different bedding for him...

Yeah, collection's still growing...
Tsefan by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
This is Tsefan. He's a Mexican Black Kingsnake (Lampropeltis getula nigrita), and a snake that I've been pining after for a few years. Looks to be a lot better behaved (and bigger) already than my finger-nibbler Halailah...
Tsefan by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
He's still got white patches under his chin and on his belly, extending up slightly on his sides, but as he gets older he'll develop into a solid iridescent chocolate-black snake.

Not corn snakes, but they are close relatives; these are a pair of het hypomelanistic Baird's Rat Snakes (Pantherophis bairdi), a colorful species native to southwestern Texas and northern Mexico. They undergo a massive color change as they grow up; the adults look nothing like these juveniles. The female is Leah:
Leah by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Leah by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And the male is Jacob:
Jacob by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Jacob by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
On average they're about as long (sometimes slightly longer), but more slender, than corns, tend to be very laid back as adults (these two still like to rattle tails), and depending on origin may be slate gray to brilliant orange-pink, or yellow with a silver head.

Back