Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Corn Snakes!

Greetings from the netherworld. curtisconners's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I had the room for that many amazing snakes. I only have a California kingsnake and a crested gecko. I also can't believe that you managed to get an albino Nelson's milk snake for a couple of plants!
    The profile pic that you see above is my actual photo. I am a hyper-intelligent snake that has learned to use the internet and I will eventually rule you all.

Just kidding..... Or am I?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are only 3 snakes in the house at the moment (all the babies sold, and of course the milks are staying at school for now). But yeah, I was lucky with the milks; granted, it was a couple hundred dollars' worth of plants traded, but the amel nelson's is probably worth $60+, and I know the T+ is $200+.....
    And if I were allowed to, it would be far more than these guys at home
    Last edited by hcarlton; 03-28-2016 at 03:41 PM.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several hundred dollars worth of plants!? Well still, nice snakes.
    The profile pic that you see above is my actual photo. I am a hyper-intelligent snake that has learned to use the internet and I will eventually rule you all.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several hundred dollar's worth of plants isn't hard for me to scrounge up if the person is interested in what I have available: SG Sarracenia and Nepenthes, rooted cuttings, lots of Drosera, seeds galore, etc....and the snakes are definitely worth it. That was quite literally the only way I would have been able to acquire them too.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plant power, he he. One more question. How long do your corn snakes get on average? I've heard that 4-5 feet is average, but I've also heard that they can be kept in a 20 gallon long and that doesn't seem to mix. Thanks.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many snakes are comfortable in small spaces and so even large corn snakes are commonly kept in rack systems; the length of the animal doesn't necessarily mean it requires a large space. That said, if it were feasible I would prefer to keep animals in larger tanks, as species like corn snakes especially are active. Mine live in an 18x36" tank.
    Corn snakes do get to a typical average of 4-5 feet, males larger than females, but the record is just over 6 feet and my original male reached 5 1/2'.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, I see. I guess that's the advantage of having only one or two herps at a time, you get to use bigger tanks. My California kingsnake is in a 40 gallon and quite happy. Thanks for the help.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stopped at my old high school bio room today (where my milk snakes are living temporarily), and took some pics.
    Gypsy here is a golden gecko, and normally not a handling-pet (she's jumpy and nippy)
    Gypsy by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
    Beardo was just being himself: lazing around, climbing people's shoulders etc.
    Beardo by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
    The amel this girl had as a roommate unfortunately passed away from unknown causes recently, but Eclipse is doing fine. She has a LOT of yellow on her, not sure how well it shows
    Eclipse by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
    Bindi has reached somewhere between 4 and 5 feet, more or less mature, and is still puppy dog tame
    Bindi by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
    And Lux is getting bigger! He's still as jumpy as ever though
    Lux by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
    Lastly, Ruby is happy and healthy, and even better: she's ovulating! As it might be my only chance to attempt it, when they come home I may try and see if I can pair her with Starfire, because corn x milk hybrids are amazing....
    Ruby by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
    Growlist

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it's been quite some time since I posted here, so a few updates on a couple animals shown above (yes, more than corns, but still)
    Lux has gotten a whole lot bigger
    The remainder of this past year's hatchling corns (and the ones used in an incubation study, so all the ones shown here have some odd aspects to their patterns)
    Corn snake hatchling by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
    "Baldy" Corn snake hatchling by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
    And taking care of this girl over the summer; she's pushing 5 1/2, maybe 6 feet
    And she likes turning herself into a fashion accessory
    Bindi and I by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
    Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    corn snakes are on my list one day. So sweet.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345