Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Corn Snakes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have wanted a grey banded for years. I really like those colors!

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsmanshorn View Post
    I have wanted a grey banded for years. I really like those colors!
    I advise to make sure you get one that's well-established on mice (even if they're usually a bit more expensive) if you ever do get one. I was told Gideon was eating scented pinkies, but he's refused anything and everything I've been able to try giving him, because they naturally only eat live young lizards in the wild and many babies carry this over into captivity. He's currently in a short brumation period to see if that snaps him into eating pinks, since that apparently works for many. Otherwise it'll be force-feeding again for probably several months.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was asked before if I could collect local geckos because they couldn't get their snake to eat mice. I think he was going to use use them to train to eat mice, stuff them inside?? I wonder if it was the same snake....
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    I advise to make sure you get one that's well-established on mice (even if they're usually a bit more expensive) if you ever do get one. I was told Gideon was eating scented pinkies, but he's refused anything and everything I've been able to try giving him, because they naturally only eat live young lizards in the wild and many babies carry this over into captivity. He's currently in a short brumation period to see if that snaps him into eating pinks, since that apparently works for many. Otherwise it'll be force-feeding again for probably several months.
    Yes, I had heard they can be a problem that way, one of the reasons I have hesitated so long, but they sure are purdy.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    I was asked before if I could collect local geckos because they couldn't get their snake to eat mice. I think he was going to use use them to train to eat mice, stuff them inside?? I wonder if it was the same snake....
    Some species will not, ever, eat mice either. Vine snakes are often strictly lizard feeders, so gecko and anole sources are a necessity. Others sometimes can be switched with scenting, but there are a lot of varying techniques and not all work with every species/individual.
    Most people that breed grey-banded kings however either collect their own lizards or breed them. It's needed to have a good source of usually geckos or Sceloporus sp. lizards.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pattern is almost 3 snakes in one...
    Rebel by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
    Rebel by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
    Hobbes the Cape house snake (the male, at least) after a fresh shed
    Hobbes by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
    And I decided to snap a pic of Tsela judging me from on high...she's a Black Pine snake, a federally protected species.
    Tsela by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
    Last edited by hcarlton; 12-21-2019 at 05:47 PM.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to ask: what is it about me being bit that people like so much? This and the other photo set I have of similar behavior are the most popular posts on FB and IG...and clearly he finds it amusing...
    Tsefan noms by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
    Growlist

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789