What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corn Snakes!

Don't have photos yet to share of the spotted pythons, but I do of two other acquisitions. First is Gideon, the gray-banded kingsnake.
Gideon by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

And second, my representative for Latin America: Domhara.
Domhara by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
No, the photo isn't upside down :) . She's a Dominican mountain boa, once placed in the same genus as the rainbow boas of South America but now considered part of a sister genus from the Caribbean. As an adult, she may redden up even further.

A few others have joined the group (the last, as currently planned), and they may or may not show up here as I manage to get other pics (though posts will eventually appear about all of them on my blog), but for now, an actual corn snake added to the mix: Dreamer!
He's a male Ghost motley (Ghost being hypomelanistic and anerythristic), hopefully Coral ghost (Strawberry allele rather than hypo) and Tessera (a dominant pattern mutation). Only time will tell though, and breeding...
Dreamer by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Not too sure what they turn into as they get older, but the silver is actually kinda neat!

I have wanted a grey banded for years. I really like those colors!

I have wanted a grey banded for years. I really like those colors!

I advise to make sure you get one that's well-established on mice (even if they're usually a bit more expensive) if you ever do get one. I was told Gideon was eating scented pinkies, but he's refused anything and everything I've been able to try giving him, because they naturally only eat live young lizards in the wild and many babies carry this over into captivity. He's currently in a short brumation period to see if that snaps him into eating pinks, since that apparently works for many. Otherwise it'll be force-feeding again for probably several months.

I was asked before if I could collect local geckos because they couldn't get their snake to eat mice. I think he was going to use use them to train to eat mice, stuff them inside?? I wonder if it was the same snake....

I advise to make sure you get one that's well-established on mice (even if they're usually a bit more expensive) if you ever do get one. I was told Gideon was eating scented pinkies, but he's refused anything and everything I've been able to try giving him, because they naturally only eat live young lizards in the wild and many babies carry this over into captivity. He's currently in a short brumation period to see if that snaps him into eating pinks, since that apparently works for many. Otherwise it'll be force-feeding again for probably several months.

Yes, I had heard they can be a problem that way, one of the reasons I have hesitated so long, but they sure are purdy.

I was asked before if I could collect local geckos because they couldn't get their snake to eat mice. I think he was going to use use them to train to eat mice, stuff them inside?? I wonder if it was the same snake....

Some species will not, ever, eat mice either. Vine snakes are often strictly lizard feeders, so gecko and anole sources are a necessity. Others sometimes can be switched with scenting, but there are a lot of varying techniques and not all work with every species/individual.
Most people that breed grey-banded kings however either collect their own lizards or breed them. It's needed to have a good source of usually geckos or Sceloporus sp. lizards.

I have to ask: what is it about me being bit that people like so much? This and the other photo set I have of similar behavior are the most popular posts on FB and IG...and clearly he finds it amusing...
Tsefan noms by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Hey, an actual corn snake for the corn snake-labeled thread!
Midnight by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
What with the recent passing of my oldest, Candice (she was 13 1/2), Midnight at 10 1/2 years old and at least 5 feet long is now the biggest snake in the house, and the oldest overall
Midnight by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Also, I've posted about Gideon already; because he was not eating willingly, at all, I got a second to be a more willingly feeding, better educational animal. Just my luck naturally, as this past weekend Gideon finally decided he would eat on his own, but still, Gubler here hasn't missed a mouse yet:
Gubler by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And while Tsefan the MBK likes fingers, apparently Halailah developed a taste for pants...
Halailah by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Halailah by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Last for today, Reynard. Still on lizards, but he's starting to take interest in scented pinks. And, considering he's already almost as orange as the 2 1/2 year old Domhara is and he's only a couple months, he'll be brilliant as an adult
Reynard by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Last edited:
Male vs. female house snakes, and normal vs. T+ amelanistic. Carmel still has a long ways to go before she maxes out (though hopefully she's close to mature now).
Carmel and Hobbes by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Domhara made herself into an ankle bracelet
Domhara ankle bracelet by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And Callie left behind a shed that's 10 feet long
Callie shed by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Callie shed by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
She's not quite that long (sheds stretch), but a handful nonetheless
Callie by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And while Domhara was an ankle monitor, Reynard became an eyepiece
Gubler is getting big, fast
And the mystery continues: why, why do snakes like my hair?
Hair hide by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Hair hide by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

lol, do they sit still in your hair or cruise around? Probably addressed earlier in the thread but are all of these corns?

No, the vast majority of these are not corns; they're separated by millions of years of evolution from each other, and surely at least the reticulated python is recognizable. But, I can't figure how to edit the thread title to reflect all the animals.
The head is not big enough for most of the snakes to actually curl up and sit put on it, and when they're out and about they want to move. It's typically a constant poke around and explore up there.

Red, ever more red...
And iridescent
Of the two spotted pythons, Namer the male is now the one I trust more; Serafina has developed an interest in "taste-testing" me occasionally. Namer has the nicer pattern though...
Namer by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Namer by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Pretzel, anyone?
Carmel Pretzel by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Callie sitting still long enough for a head shot...
And one of the few non-snake reptiles in the house that isn't meant for snake food...look at all that judgement...
Pickle by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
So much judgement...
And something very special: what's long, scaly, legless, but ISN'T a snake?
The answer: Piberius, the Eastern Glass Lizard
Piberius by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
A very non-snakish head, eyelids, ears, most of his length is tail instead of body, and he's got a flat skink-like tongue, unlike snakes.

Poor guy's already had a hard life...hopefully my back yard and the field beyond will be kinder to him
Rescue bullsnake by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
The in-house resident bull
Rebel by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Rebel by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Snake sleeve...doesn't last long though, she was too interested in trying to climb to the rafters
Callie arm sleeve by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Carmen by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Carmen by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
BLACK IS BEAUTIFUL!
Tsela by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And adorable...
Shoulders give the second best view...top of the head gives best overall
And a fresh shed means Domhara was looking phenomenal in the evening sun
Domhara in the Evening by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And then...there's this dork.
Nom! by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Also a last shot from a herping trip a couple weeks ago; no snakes on that one, but we found this guy:
Western box turtle by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Back