What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two-Toed Amphiuma's

• Thread starter sflynn
  • Start date
Here's a few pics of my new Two-Toed Amphiuma's, (Amphiuma means)!

20140903_080323_zpsdf82260b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Amphiuma_001_26907_zpsf72a0af2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Amphiuma_001_5230_zpsc3518cfd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

One is 36 inches long and the other is about 28. Also they will eat anything alive (or once was) you put in there with them, not joking

Last edited:
I inherited a monstrous one that was over 20 years old when I when I was a kid. Loved to bite (and bite hard). It's amazing how fast they can take down adult crayfish cool animals. Very cool animals.

Very nifty creatures.

I'd love to keep some of those one day!
Thanks for posting!

Thanks for the compliments!, I will try to get a few pics of them eating later in the week!

It's crazy how fast amphiuma's can heal, a few day's ago one of the amphiuma's bit the others tail, and the resulting struggle left the one that was bitten first with a badly damaged tail that I thought would end up falling off. The next day I came in and it looked like there had never been a problem with the ones tail beside a slight discoloration! I wish humans healed that fast...

BTW- it is not normal for the amphiuma's to bite each other, one tried to catch a fish, but it missed and ended up biting the others tail, it took a lot of convincing to get it to let go.

Last edited:
That is really really cool. I've only ever seen them on documentaries.

It's crazy how fast amphiuma's can heal, a few day's ago one of the amphiuma's bit the others tail, and the resulting struggle left the one that was bitten first with a badly damaged tail that I thought would end up falling off. The next day I came in and it looked like there had never been a problem with the ones tail beside a slight discoloration! I wish humans healed that fast...

BTW- it is not normal for the amphiuma's to bite each other, one tried to catch a fish, but it missed and ended up biting the others tail, it took a lot of convincing to get it to let go.

Better hope he doesn't have the taste for cannibalism now :0o:

Wow so cool, I have always been fascinated by these creatures. If they ever breed. . . !

Wow so cool, I have always been fascinated by these creatures. If they ever breed. . . !

I wish they would breed! Unfortunately though absolutely nothing is known about these species breeding habits :(. I'll try to video tape them tomorrow when I feed them and up-load it here!

They can be bred in captivity although, it would take a large and somewhat elaborate set up. Probably easier to do in an outdoor pond with a sloping land area with stones and other debris along the shore. They usually breed between January and April, during this time the males will have obviously swollen cloacal openings. They breed in much the same way as other salamanders and newts with the male depositing a spermatophore which is received by the female. Eggs are always laid on land under rocks, logs or in burrows close to the shore. Eggs can take a long time to hatch, approximately 6 months. The larvae are pretty cool looking, like miniature versions of the adults only with external gills.

Last edited:
Made a video of them eating, I just put the music in there to mute the audio since a bunch of people were talking in the background:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/q2Q31POyoYQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Back