What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salamander ID Needed

Hi guys,

Hoping the herpetology gurus here can come up with an ID for this salamander we found at the GH today. We're close to the Oconee River in the Piedmont region of Georgia, if that helps. Dominant cover is bottomland hardwoods (sycamore, maple, boxelder, river birch, etc.) with pines. Just had a warmish (60sF) day and decent rain. I imagine that's why he came out.

He's since been released, and sorry for the crappy pic. This isn't quite my area of expertise, so lemme know what you can come up with!

Last edited:
Eastern Spotted Newt - Notophthalmus viridescens

cute . I wish we had more amphibians in Hawaii....

The young ones migrate from the breeding pools in the fall. I'm actually surprised it's out of the eft stage at that size.

A bit weird that you'd find the adult phase in a terrestrial situation. The adults are very aquatic, while the juvenile bright red "eft" stage is when they're terestrials.

Awesome! I had no idea y'all would come to the rescue so fast. Thanks very much!

Cute lil devil!

Back