Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smiley the Nile Monitor Lizard

For the love of Science! Dragoness's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought that they had confirmed that at least komodos were actually venomous?

Almost every monitor I have seen that the owner claims is "tame" is either too cold, or too sick to be as active as they should be. I did see one impressive specimen (an ornate monitor) that was so well adjusted to its owner that he did not bite. Even when given ample opportunity. The man still had all his fingers, too. It was an adult, in good health. Fed by hand, without gloves or tongs.

It takes a spectacular investment of time and training, but monitors are very intelligent animals, and quite trainable when worked properly. I had only just started working with my baby sav whe. She died during a cross-country move.
    Jen- My Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...00#post1154900
    "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar."
    -Bradley Miller-

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I'd heard they had discovered trace venoms in the saliva of multiple species, but since then I've heard little in the way of confirmation and the reptile professor at my college seems to still be in the camp that they're not, so we'll see.
    And water monitors at least can be rather quickly and easily tamed if started young. Check out Animalbytes TV (or more specifically the show Snakebytes) on FB or Youtube, there was a segment a short while back that focused on a guy who bred water monitors. Incredibly tame his animals end up...
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12