What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuzzy Rescue

Zath

Enthusiastic Enthusiast
Well, the title of this sub-forum -does- say "Animal Life"....and it's technically being kept in an aquarium (at the moment). :blush:

Anyway...

Got home late last night from an out-of-state road-trip. As I was pulling the car into the garage, I saw something small leap away from one of my cats briefly before it was caught again. I parked the car in a hurry and cornered the cat. At this point, I'm used to occasionally finding entrails and bits of fluff left over from their kills, but it breaks my heart to see -anything- suffering, and this one was still kicking and squealing...

bunny-rescue.jpg

I did what any soft-hearted person would do and grabbed the cat by his scruff until he let go of the poor thing. Just a baby; it fits snugly into the palm of my hand.

I gave it some alfalfa grass (and yes, I keep strange things like that on-hand), and some water, and it miraculously survived the night and most of today.

If it's still alive tomorrow, I guess I can safely assume it's not going to die of internal injuries. I'll probably plan on keeping it for a week or so to give it a chance to heal some more before letting it go in the field across the way, while I blithely ignore the chances of it getting caught-up by a hawk or owl, lol.

The point is...I won't have to see it happen. >.<

(Edit)

Welp...looks like I spoke too soon.

Went into town for groceries, and sometime during the hour and a half I was away, the rabbit died.

...I'm not really surprised. Rescues like this, whether they be mice, birds, or whatever, never seem to work out. Disappointing all the same, though.

Last edited:
Aww im sorry to hear that. You tried your best. I cant even recall how many times i trued to rescue birds that were shot with bebes from my next door neighbours dad and have them pass away in my attempts to heal them enough to be released. Well the circle of life is cruel but thankful enough theirs ppl like u who try to atleast ease theur suffering/passing. Sorry to hear it didnt make it but thank you for atleast trying to help it :) RIP baby rabit

Awww... sorry to hear that.

When I was a kid, I heard a horrible squealing coming from the backyard. Found a tiny baby rabbit, still somewhat pinkish, eyes unopened, being bitten by some kind of diabolical shrew. I treated its wounds with peroxide and got some formula to feed it (my sister kept rabbits, so we had some idea of how to raise a baby). Its hair grew in, its eyes opened, and it started to walk. But even then the poor thing didn't make it.

Poor fella was too young. Baby rabbits can sometimes die from stress & shock easily. When grown, they're tough as nails. In the past I've had some that would bite, kick, scratch, & even growl at my dogs & cats... yes, growl. Its nice that you tried your best Zath & gave it a comfortable end.

Very sorry to hear this. At least you tried to save it.

Back