What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

plan to purchase a cham

Hi everyone!
I want to buy a cham! It will be my first experience. I decided with the cage.
I want to ask about the plants and light.
What are the most suitable plants to put in the cage with cham?
Can I use the LED panels (as for fish tank) for my future cham?
thanks

Sorry, I'm not familiar with you abbreviation... but are you talking about a Chameleon?

I realize some kits come with things you don't need and may even be wrong, but looking at a few different starter kits you should be able to narrow down some stuff that will work. For example: Ultimate Chameleon Setup That said, I bet subrosa or others should be able to give some good info here =)

Little help can be offered until we know what species you've decided on.

I am unfamiliar with LED' s and have no clue whether the UVA/UVB output on these will be sufficient for the needs of chameleons.

I can't imagine that any CP's would be suitable for a chameleon tank, as the lizards can get heavy enough to trample over almost anything. Some species of bromeliad are very sturdy though, and commonly used in vivariums that see a lot of foot-traffic from the animals.

I want to purchase Jackson chameleon. They are mainly recommended as pet chameleons. Frankly speaking reptiles are very hard to keep, but they are so beautiful!

As for the light I decided to install the cheapest florescent lamps https://www.mrosupply.com/search/?q=Florescent

Plants… maybe some special decorative tree?

I want to purchase Jackson chameleon. They are mainly recommended as pet chameleons. Frankly speaking reptiles are very hard to keep, but they are so beautiful!

As for the light I decided to install the cheapest florescent lamps https://www.mrosupply.com/search/?q=Florescent

Plants… maybe some special decorative tree?

Some reptiles are among the easiest pets to keep, but chameleons aren't among them. The difficulty for most people is giving them sufficient humidity while maintaining the good ventilation they require. As far as CP's, large intermediate to highland Nepenthes would work nicely. They need the same conditions, although they would need to be large mature vines to stand up to the foot traffic of the lizards. Chameleons are slow and deliberate in their movements and wouldn't put undue wear and tear on plants, but larger species like Jackson's weigh quite a bit. Imo chameleons are not a suitable first reptile for inexperienced keepers. Geckos such as Cresteds, or the many species of Day Geckos are an easier introduction to herp care.

Last edited:
I can't disagree with anything Subrosa has stated. C.jacksonii and it's subspecies are highland animals requiring cool days and cooler nights. Choose rugged plants like Pothos or Philodendron for the enclosure.

I can't disagree with anything Subrosa has stated. C.jacksonii and it's subspecies are highland animals requiring cool days and cooler nights. Choose rugged plants like Pothos or Philodendron for the enclosure.

I'm a dedicated remover of non natives, but I must admit that of all the aspects of living where a certain eructating entomologist does, the thought of walking out and seeing Jackson's in the shrubbery is among the most appealing......

I'm a dedicated remover of non natives, but I must admit that of all the aspects of living where a certain eructating entomologist does, the thought of walking out and seeing Jackson's in the shrubbery is among the most appealing......

Indeed ! It's really too bad the export of the introduced animals was banned in HI. Those animals were showing up in extremely good condition and relatively parasite free when compared to the Tanzanian imports.

Back