What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amphibian vivaruim

heading to home depot to get plants for a 10 gallon froggie home. Suggestions required. I assume my Dingly VFT would be a bad choice.

Looking for plants that won't overgrow the tank and I want to leave a lot of hopping and hunting space

thanks
joe

what kind of frogs r u usin?

Dendrobates Tinctorius Patricia, similar to a cobalt or yellow back.

They are 2-3 months old, 4 frogs in a 10 gallon.

joe

bromalads would do good maybe, i hear there good for breeding
biggrin.gif
oh wait, u could'nt use one of those in a ten gallon.....maybe some moss and a fern.,.

A N. gracilis would be nice if the temps are right, just make sure you prune. Supposedly some darts even lay eggs in the pitchers, and they live
wow.gif
Tillandsias are nice, too!
smile.gif
alien.gif
biggrin.gif
Good luck!

I have decided to put my Gracilis in the tank, along with a small bromalad, and some viney looking houseplant.  I found some sort of ground cover moss at homedepot that I'll be using as carpeting.  

I'm hoping the Gracilis is too small for them to get into since tincs get fairly large, up to 2 1/2in.  I really wanted to put one of my extra N. Amps in there but I don't have any mature Amps to compare size with.  If one day it opened a large pitcher while I wasn't looking I could very well lose a $50 tinc.

I think I'm going to start looking for other colors of gracilis to help decorate.  I've actually modified a second 10 gallon to sit on top of the first so now it's like a 20 gallon tall except the top is glass and I removed one pane (sp?) of glass in the front and made a door out of plexi glass.  Looks pretty good and it should make the frogs and the N. Gracilis happier.

Also I made an auto misting system.  I figure two minutes twice a day should be good.

Tillandsias sound like an excellent idea, where can I look for these?

joe

Still looking for more suggestions from those with vivariums/planted attruims.

I would seriously think about upgrading the size of your terrarium, 10 gallons will not house 4 adult D. tinctoriuos for long. I would say 30 gallons would be the min.
The misting systems is probably unnecessarry, we need to remeber that this is an enclosed space its not as though youve got massive air currents moving through or around this thing.
Id be very cautious about usings Neps where youve got Dendrobates nearby, I dont know what you paid for your frogs but ill bet youd be pretty upset to find one missing only to peer into a pitcher and find it drowned and partially digested. Thats an expensive snack.

And by the way it is spelled BROMELIAD!
Pronounciation Bro-mel-E-ad.
Im pretty undrestanding when it comes to typos but when I see a Genera repeatedly misspelled it really bothers me, I mean cmon people pay some attention to what your reading and writing!

wink.gif

khai, minor over recation there?  I'll spell it any way you want.

Yes the ten gallon is horribly small but temporary, the babies will be small fries upon arrival and should be ok untill I can figure out where the heck to fit a 55 in my little condo, (I should've bought a house).  If the females become a problem I will adjust or expand, no big deal.

Question I bought this moss at home depot but I'm not sure if it is appropriate.  It is labeled as Sagina irish moss, a flowering evergreen.

grass.jpg

Does it look okay for the babies?

You're right the mister is way overkill, I saw somebody else had one and immediately built without thinking. O' well it's there if I need it.

As for the N. Gracilis, I'll wait untill the frogs are bigger than the pitchers and then put it in. As far as I know that's about the only nep with itty bitty pitchers.

thanks
joe

I will go on a different route and suggest Heliamphora. Frogs are often found sitting in the pitchers(I don't think they can catch frogs) and the pitchers will probably benefit from frog poop.

Regards,

Joe

As much as I would love a red/pinkish heli in the tank I'm afraid tincs don't swim, they sink.

joe

I guess but then I rarely do that, so its ok every now and then.

It is my understanding that Irish moss preferes a somewhat cool growing environment.
Cooler than a terrarium that is.

biggrin.gif

Found that out. Took them back to home depot and offered a trade to our very own purplesundew to negotiate for some compact red moss.

Clock is ticking, in a about a month and a half to two months the babies will be ready for thier new home, I want to ensure that the moss is properly growing and I need to find some vines and small epiphytes for the background. Need help with this since I don't know a Bro-mel-E-ad from a tilandsia. As a matter of fact I actually bought a plant I thought was a Bro-mel-E-ad and it turned out to be something else. I must find good tropical help somewhere.

thanks for the suggestion all,
joe

Back