What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Acanthosaura capra

monty04-4-7-03.jpg

monty02-4-7-03.jpg

hey, he's cool, i remember catching one when i was 6 or 7 years old, it looked exactly like that

nice lizard. I have noticed your into the more exotic 4 leg herps lol, did you happen to get both at a petco or something, as they sell them there. I tend to stray away from those stores and go for herp shows, etc. Spec, you most likely caught a similar looking lizard, as i doubt mountain horned lizards are in the US (please correect me if im wrong)

Spec, I don't think you caught one of these, unless you grew up in Malaysia.

Yup, got them about four years ago. the geckos came from Petco the MHDs came from PetSmart. It was my crusade to save the lizards. I don't buy anything from these places any more. When I Got my dragon the people at PetSmart didn't even know what it was. Had to do my own research and tell the poeple at the pet store what they had and how to care for them.

I would have to go out of state to go to a show, we don't have any in MN. We do have two reptile shops, though which is where I go too do all my shopping.

The only snakes I've kept are garter snakes that I have caught, keep them for a month or so then let them go. I am looking in to get a Candoia sp. this summer. I seem to have a fascination with reptiles from southeast asia.

Chris

Can't see your pics, but I really want one of these guys too. I don't think our local stores sell them though. There does not seem to be much info on the web about them and what I have found indicates they can have alot of health problems. Hubby has said no because of that.

Is yours tame, is it one that can be handled (I know they really shouldn't be handled but just wondered)

Almost all Acanthosaura you see in the pet store are wild caught. This is why they have health problems. Mine were seen by a vet for deworming, after I bought them. The same vet is the person who helped me to find information about them.

I have had three other MHDs besides Monty (the girl in the pic). The third One was very sick when I bought it. With help from my vet we tried to save her. After three weeks in my care she died. Peanut was bought at the same time as Monty. Gimpy was the last one I got. About a month after I got Gimp I noticed Peanut acting funny. She was gravid and died from being egg bound. About a month after that Monty also started acting funny. Monty laid ten eggs on Jan. 23, 2000. Of those ten eggs only four hatched. The first hatching on May 31, 2000. None of them lived more then a week or two. This was my first experience with breeding and a very sad one. Gimp pasted away last fall. I believe Gimpy was an Acanthosaura armata. This may be the reason why the babies didn't do so well, or maybe it was just my own ignorance.

Sorry, didn't mean to give you life story. Chris

Yea, mtn. horns are usually WC. Timid little buggers. I really don't like petco or any other "chian" pet stores, as they know very very little about their animals. People like you are saints, saving these herps.
smile.gif

Condoia, the island boas eh? Try an asperia (viper boa) or solomon island boa, but nice and looks cool. Usually offered on sale on the KS classifeds. I might get an asperia..maybe if I find a CB one.

Sorry to hear about your herps, we all make mistakes, but some are just there. Keep at it. I remeber i used to breed anoles for fun, alot of failures, but eventually i got one baby!

I caught one of those in the bushes next to the guard house when I lived in Penang I had no Idea what it was then but looking back at it they are identical (wish I had kept it just I had no place to keep it the rest of my room was filled with green turtles,nepenthes,arowanas, and pirahna)
cool to figure that out though.

Voodo, That sucks for the third one but I'm glad Monty is still fine, she's a beauty.

Chris,

Thanks for the life story, it is sad but does reinforce what I had read. Saw a web site where someone is captive breeding with pretty good success. Ofcourse captive breed means more expensive but worth it in the long run.

Back