What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leopard geckos!

Hello all!
I thoght it would be fun to start a topic devoted only to the (according to Reptiles magazine) most popular pet lizard/gecko. To me, she is like a dog, because she knows me sooo well! She comes out of her cave to see me everytime that I walk by, which is really cute!
smile.gif
Her name is Alby, a reverse-alemenistic leopard gecko, and she just turned three six days ago, (unoffical), but I got her when she was about a week old... Tell me 'bout your little bug-eyed cuties!
biggrin.gif

Mines name is Gex, A friend gave him to me because he knew that I could take care of it. Hes a pretty looking HE/SHE( how the heck to you sex them?) Hes always out, He has a poop corner, which he has pooped in from the dawn of time lol, Im thinking about making him a miniture litterbox for him. Hes one of the best pet I have!!!

Well, ive got a mid sized bearded dragon, I bought him back in october, I think it was october 14th, I dunno, but I do know it was a tuesday. Hes not a baby, but hes not a adult yet either, it takes them 1-2 years until they reach adult hood. Well, every morning I wake up I looked down at him and he always licks his lips, so I drop in lettuce, and he gobbles it up. Which I think makes him pretty owner like, hes not my pet, im his! He scarpes the glass when he needs poop cleaned, and I can hear it from back here, in my computer room. He is really fun and will sit on my shoulder for hours while I watch TV, one time I was watching a show about snakes, and one of them lashed at the TV, my bearded flew off my shoulder and hid under my table, LOL! Anyways, hes pretty cool.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Trapsrock @ June 10 2003,02:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">He is really fun and will sit on my shoulder for hours while I watch TV, one time I was watching a show about snakes, and one of them lashed at the TV, my bearded flew off my shoulder and hid under my table, LOL! Anyways, hes pretty cool.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
LOL!

To sex a leo, they have to be mature, and then one way to tell is head shape, the other is well ah-hem...
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif
Do a search on Google, and type in: Leopard Gecko Sexing, that should help!
smile.gif
Thanks for the stories!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Well, I dont have a leo, but I sure have a pet lizard that can rival a gecko...a Bearded Dragon (BD). His name is $uper Chester and I won him about a year ago from ReptileRepublic. When he arrived he was very small and timid, but over time got quite large and calm. He went through a lot when he was here (nose rubbing) but that was all taken cared off. He loves to bask and eat some succulents growing in his tank. He loves to chase down crickets, along with mealworms, spiders, pill bugs, sow bugs, beetles..the works! He is a gorgeous herp, just like my snakes
wink.gif

i have a small female leopard gecko, or at least i she seems small compared to the others ive see. She is alot like a dog to me too, she always comes out when i walk in the room, and loves it when i take out and let her explore my room. She still thinks my fingers are edible, even after about 6 months of trying to eat them.

Ktulu

My dragon is scared half to death of snakes, its funny how whenever I turn to animal planet and a reptile show is on, or there filming the desert, he turns his head so his left eye is staring at the TV, he just focus's in, but when im watching a movie or something he wants to like fall asleep. We were watching animal planet, and it was a show on beardies, there were like 5 or 6 of them on the TV and they were talking about them, they started nodding there heads and my beardie started doing it too! Its funny how animals watch TV. Boy, does he hate snakes though, PHEW.

I got my male leopard gecko, Autumn, two years ago at our local pet shop(A-1 Exotic Pets)on the first day of autumn, hence his name. I thought *he* was a *she* at first, but later on, WAYYYY later on, I found out that *he* was a *he*, not a *she*
smile.gif
I would've re-named him if it wasn't for the fact that I got him the first day of autumn. He will be two years old very soon. He is absolutely HUGE!!! He is eight inches long now. He is very funny. Very fat(I like to call him a ''chunky monkey'' ) Very clumsy. He finds it hard to judge the distance between him and a cricket sometimes
tounge.gif
. As in, he can lunge for a cricket that is two inches in front of his face, but still come up a half an inch short, even if the darned cricket just sits there like an idiot LOL!
rolleyes.gif

Alby is very intelligent, if I have been holding a snake, even after a handwash that is as through as possible, she'll still be hesitant, but if I wash about three more times, then she'll come out and do whatever with me
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Wow... really??? It's amazing that she can pick up on that!
wow.gif

Yeah, it's weird, like him/her:
alien.gif

alien.gif

alien.gif
]  
wow.gif

tounge.gif

rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif

smile.gif

alien.gif

yeah animals have a sense about snakes its freaky!

Autumn's funny... one time, when I was cleaning out his 20 gallon, I had him outside with me(he loves outdoor adventures). Since I couldn't let him crawl around, because I couldn't keep a close eye on him(lots of hawks around here), I put him in a clean cake-container lid(the clear plastic kind). The walls of it are about eight inches tall. I put him in there, and  several times, since he is so big, he climbed right out of it!!!
wow.gif
Well, I kept puting him back in... putting him back in... back in....... well, after I was done with his tank, I put it back in my bedroom, which is where I keep him, and put him back in it. From then on, until the next morning, he kept standing up on top of a small rock that is behind his waterbowl, trying to climb out
tounge.gif
He came up about three inches short of the edge, though LOL! I have no top on the cage, because he can't climb out. But, since he found out that he could climb out of the container I had him in, he was danged determined he was going to give it a shot in the cage
tounge.gif
Well, next morning, I saw that he had obviously been crusading all night long. The rock that he kept standing up on his hind legs on was tipped over... ouch...

Aw she purty
smile.gif

Autumn looks a little like her, except the spots are not as bold.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FlytrapGurl @ June 19 2003,9:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The rock that he kept standing up on his hind legs on was tipped over... ouch...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
What does that mean? Did it hurt him? Or did he just give up, and that's immoral? I hope it's the latter... Did I mention Alby has a particular fascination with pictures of chameleons? When I have her on my shoulder, sometimes we look at/read Reptiles Magazine, and she normally ignores, but whenever there's a chameleon, she perks up and stares her funny little leo stare right at it!
wow.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (lithopsman @ June 25 2003,9:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FlytrapGurl @ June 19 2003,9:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The rock that he kept standing up on his hind legs on was tipped over... ouch...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
What does that mean? Did it hurt him? Or did he just give up, and that's immoral? I hope it's the latter...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Well, he did it while I was asleep, but I know it didn't hurt him, because he was fine. I'm thinking that it fell over/out from under his feet while he was standing up on it. Or maybe he just did some remodling, which he does a lot, deciding that he didn't like the rock there
rolleyes.gif
. One time, I woke up and saw that he had pushed his four inch tall fake rock formation an inch to the left away from the glass!
wow.gif
I guess he just wanted it moved a little so he could crawl behind it!
tounge.gif

Albion is odd right b4 she lunges for a cricket she sends her tail in the air and waives the tip around like a rattler, though when she lunges she often get a mouthful of sand but it's cute and she keeps trying. Is she the only one out there that does that with her tail?

Note:Since whe often swallows sand I changed the substrate to ultra-fine calcisand so don't get mad at me about that she might get an impaction.

lots of geckoes, especially the desert species, like web footed's, etc, will wiggle thier tails in the air during a feeding. It's odd.

When I was breeding Leopard Geckos I had 15 adults. 1 male and 14 females. Not sure how many babies I had. I usually did not have them long. I sold them or traded them at reptile shows for some of the variations that were coming out in the Leopard Geckos. I did keep a few babies that had interesting color or patterns on them.

I made a page with info and picture of the geckos I had.

http://www.geocities.com/elgecko1989/geckos.html

Back